I’m enjoying going around the Wheel of the Year in 2018, gathering facts for each day both from Pagan and Christian Sources. Looking into ChristoPagan calendar events for 24 January, I learned that today is the start of the Sementivae, a Roman celebration of the sowing season that stretches over several day to include a celebration of the Goddess Ceres on 2 February (Imbolc).
The main focus of the celebration for today, 24 January, is Tellus (aka Terra Mater) the Earth Goddess and mother of us all. Tellus had no priests of her own but she did have temple on the Esquiline Hill. Other than Sementivae, Tellus was also celebrated during fertility festival Fordicidia on 13 April.
Reading about all this, it occurred to me that I never created a Tarot spread to honour the Spirit of our amazing planet. What better day to remedy that than today? Oh, and if you would rather ask Gaia or Jord to tell us (get it?!) what we need to know, that is fine too. Mother Goddess cares even less (if possible) about proper names and theology than Father God.
It’s all about a loving intent, so let us approach this Tellus ‘tell us’ reading with love for our Earth Mother. If you feel like lighting a candle and sending Mater Terra some love before you begin, then that would be most appropriate.
The Tellus Tell Us Tarot Spread
- My role as a steward of Earth
- What gift Tellus has bestowed on me as Her servant
- What challenge I must overcome to better serve Her
- How I can be more receptive to Her voice
- How I can actively help heal Her domain
Tellus Tell Us Sample Reading with the Legacy of the Divine Tarot
- My role as a steward of Earth – The Empress. This is my soul card and a card of motherhood, nurturing and creativity. I’m to use my innate gifts and my role as a mother to help Tellus. I am to tend to Her garden (which is all of Nature) as I would my own garden. If I strive to embody Her nurturing Spirit, it will guide me from within. Ear to the ground, bare soles to the dust…
- What gift Tellus has bestowed on me as Her servant – 7 of Wands. Courage. I can fight fearlessly for the environment and those of Her children who are too frail to fight for themselves.
- What challenge I must overcome to better serve Her – Justice. To find harmony within myself and then to choose a cause to champion.
- How I can be more receptive to Her voice – 8 of Pentacles. By paying attention to detail in nature and my own work.
- How I can actively help heal Her domain – The World. This is my personality birth card and relates to the first card, The Empress. I must use all my gifts for the Highest Good, with gratitude for the short time I spend here on Earth. Tellus herself is showing herself behind the World Dancer. What’s not to love about Earth School? I must stop grumbling and embrace the dance!
Happy Tellus Day, my friends!