In astrology, the Sun sign is the self/persona – The same could be said for the Tarot Sun card. It’s a card that celebrates your individuality when it emerges in harmony with the True Self.
1. On a mundane level, The Sun is one of those cards that puts a smile on everyone’s face when it shows up in a reading. The Sun promises that we will soon be able to put our troubles and sorrows behind us. Simply put, it is a card of success and in particular the kind that bestows honour and recognition on the Seeker.
2. The Child symbolises new beginnings, rebirth and innocence, as well as the nascent whole Self fully realised in The World. In the French Tarot, we have two children, which are seen as symbolic of Twin Flame love according to some readers. For those of us who see the divine marriage of the two halves of our being more as inner work, they represent the animus and anima in perfect harmony rather than in their shadow aspects.
3. This card is the consciousness and yang to the unconsciousness and yin of The Moon card. Where truths, shameful secrets and repressed material resides in the murky waters of the unconscious mind in The Moon, in The Sun they are fully emerged, healed and understood. The whole being can thus be re-energised because there is no tension or unconscious drain of energy.
4. The highest spiritual potential of the Sun card is to know the goodness behind all things. (Pamela Eakins, Tarot of the Spirit) Or, in the words of A.E. Waite:
When the self-knowing spirit has dawned in the consciousness above the natural mind, that mind in its renewal leads forth the animal nature in a state of perfect conformity.
5. When the The Sun shows up as the challenge, some questions for self-examination might be… ‘Am I being selfish here?,’ ‘Do I fear success?,’ ‘Am I thanking all the people who helped me achieve success or am I hogging all the glory?,’ and ‘Am I putting myself at risk for burnout?’.
6. The Astrological correspondence for the Sun is… the Sun! That was easy, wasn’t it?! This gives us Michael, ruler of the Sun, as the corresponding Archangel. Invoke Archangel Michael on a Sunday and use a gold candle. The corresponding crystal is citrine.
7. On a Sun/solar energy type day, you could…
- Have absolute clarity
- Feel really fit and well
- Receive recognition for your work
- Meet the love of your life
- Land your dream job
- Feel super confident
- Know exactly what you must do next
- Have a breakthrough
- Feel optimistic
- Laugh and play
- Know your worth
- Be healed
- Forgive yourself and others
- Feel magnanimous
- Reach a new level of understanding
- Be centre stage
- Feel free to just be
- Achieve a goal
- Win a competition
- Be absolutely unafraid
- Suffer from burnout (Rx)
- Not feel confident (Rx)
The Frideborg Tarot Sun card
Perhaps this sounds very simple, but simple things are always the most difficult. In actual life it requires the greatest discipline to be simple, and the acceptance of oneself is the essence of the moral problem and the epitome of a whole outlook upon life.
~ Carl Jung