The same day I signed up for the Imbolc Tarot Blog Hop with the theme ‘How Can I Be A Better Candle?’, I came upon this poem by W.R. Hunt and, being a great believer in synchronicity, I don’t feel it was by chance.
Dear Lord, please give me…
A few friends who understand me,
and yet remain my friends.
A work to do which has real value,
without which the world would feel the poorer.
A mind unafraid to travel,
even though the trail be not blazed.
An understanding heart…
A sense of humour.
Time for quiet, silent meditation.
A feeling of the presence of God
and the patience to wait for the coming of these things,
with the wisdom to know them when they come.
This is one of those poems that just begs to be turn into a tarot spread… and doesn’t it fit just perfectly with the theme of being a better candle!? I often combine tarot and oracle cards in readings. This spread works best with an angel or other type of oracle card for position 3.
The ‘How Can I Be A Better Candle?’ Tarot Spread
|Alchemical Tarot and Angels of Atlantis Oracle|
- My meditation practice (Connecting with Spirit) – King of Coins
- A feeling of the presence of God (Fire) – 10 of Wands
- Wisdom to know (Spirit) – Patience
- Work without which the world would feel poorer (Earth) – 6 of Wands
- A mind unafraid to travel (Air) – 3 of Pentacles
- An understanding heart/friendships (Water) – Strength
1. The card here shows you what you need to know about a new or existing meditation practice. It can reveal a challenge to your practice or the way forward. In my own reading, I find the King of Coins apt here, as my aim for this year is to really ground my spiritual practice into reality… and what better guide for that then the King of Coins?
2. This card shows you how you can bring more magick into your everyday life by sensing the divine in everything and everyone around you. Fire brings you inspiration to shine more brightly. To me, the 10 of Wands here is connected to being continuously aware that I am here to serve – a big theme in my Hermit year.
3. This is a message from Spirit which will help you be a better candle in the world. (Oracle/Angel card) This card made me laugh out loud. Patience! It’s as if Spirit is putting back in the portion of the poem that I left out of the reading in order to remind me of its importance.
4. Here is a divine message about how you can shine your light more brightly in your ordinary work life. The 6 of Wands here reminds me that the more fun I have, the more brightly I shine.
5. This card shows you if there are any mind blocks holding you back or what you should use your intellect to explore next. There’s no two ways about it – I’m being told to get on with my writing.
6. The card in this position reveals how you can shine your candle more brightly in friendship and intimate relationships. I love seeing Strength here. It’s a wonderful warm yet gentle energy to bring into all my closest relationships. The soul alchemy theme is strong in the Alchemical Strength card. Friendships can be chalices for alchemical transformation if we allow them.
I think about the first petition in the prayer about the ‘friends who know me but yet remain friends.’ These people are the candles that light up my existence and this post is dedicated to YOU! I hope you enjoy the spread and the insights it brings. Keep shining!
Brightest Imbolc Blessings