On Thursday we have a Super New Moon in Gemini. The exact time is 20:44 BST. A Super Moon is a moon that is closer to earth than normal (known as ‘perigee’ in astronomy terms) and it is followed by another Super New Moon in Cancer in June. Out of the two, the Gemini Super Moon is the closest to Earth.
Does closer mean more intense? Yes it does but we need to be mindful of other influences as well. There aren’t any super harsh aspects going on with this lunation but mutability is definitely in focus since the New Moon in mutable Gemini will be squaring Neptune in mutable Pisces. There is also a trine with Jupiter (ruler of mutable Pisces and Sagittarius) in Libra, so this can be a good time to improve communication between lovers.
Restlessness or disappointment at not having been able to create a greater shift from the deep transformation impetus of the most recent Full Moon in Scorpio is a possibility. In fact, I’m guided by Spirit to address some of you directly about this: Some of the things you tried to shift created a vacuum… Nature abhors a vacuum, so that unguarded space is now filling back up with whatever you tried to shift… or (worse) something even more unpleasant is threatening to take its place.
NOW (at the time of this New Moon) is the time to find that thing to replace old, outdated and unwanted thought patterns that are making you hanker for something you know is really bad for you. To help you with this, I created a Magician-inspired Tarot spread to moderate and manage your self-talk, become the Observer and bring in a new, more helpful energy into your life.
The Magician’s Super New Moon in Gemini Tarot Spread
- Area of your life most in need of a Gemini Super New Moon make-over – This relates in some way to something you were ready to shift around the time of the Scorpio Full Moon
- Negative pattern to be released – Something that you still identify with and need to start becoming the Observer of instead so that it can be safely and permanently released (read with card 1). It could also be a bad new habit you picked up between the last Full Moon and this New Moon because you left a vacuum.
- New thought and/or habit to replace this pattern with – Wave your Magician’s wand to make it so! (i.e. create a Tarot spell** around this card)
- Action advice – An action to take to make this into your new reality (read with card 3)
- Something about how your self-talk that is ready to be transformed now – Read with card 3 for ideas of affirmations and prayers to use
A Simple New Moon Tarot Spell (feel free to modify to suit)
- Your Tarot deck
- A white spirit/altar candle
- A manifestation candle in the colour corresponding to what you wish to manifest. Gemini manifestation goals to do with communication and clarity of thought require a yellow candle. (I tend to use tea lights as spell candles this so they can burn out safely)
- Notebook + pen
- Essential oil for dressing the candle and strengthening the intent (optional – for instance Bergamot, Geranium, Lemon, Basil or Sandalwood)
- Cleansed crystal to charge and carry with you (optional – choose one that resonates with your goal, feel free to ask in the comments if you are not sure which one to use)
Cast a circle if you feel inclined to do so. You don’t need any tools to do this and can simply visualise a dome of light all around you, setting the intent for any energies that might wish to interfere to be kept outside this dome. Choose the colour light you feel is most protective. I default to purple but you can choose any colour. If it helps with the visualisation process to draw the circle with your pointer finger, you can do so. Start in the North or East, depending on which direction your altar is facing and draw the circle clockwise. You can go around the perimeter a couple of times until you can see the dome of light vividly in your mind’s eye.
And don’t worry if you don’t have an ‘altar’ – You can easily make one out of a shoe box or tray!
Light the spirit/altar candle. Anoint your spell candle with the oil if you are using essential oil to dress the candle.
Take the card from position number three and add one or two more cards that will help birth more of this energy into your life. If it is an energy you would rather ban, cross the card with Death and choose a replacement card for manifesting exactly what you desire.
Make your own spell/affirmation. Short, sweet and rhyming works best, I find. Chant your spell three times or three times three while looking at the manifestation card (and holding the crystal in your hands if you are charging it). Leave the card on the altar by the spell candle until the candle has burned all the way down. If you need your deck, take a picture of your spell to keep as your screensaver. If you don’t need the full deck, you can leave the card on your altar until the next Full Moon.
Blow out the spirit/altar candle. Give thanks to any powers you invoked to assist and close the circle by raising your receptive hand and pulling the light back into your being (again, you can do this while walking the perimeter, counter-clockwise this time, if you feel it helps).
Write everything down in your notebook, including the spell colours, other correspondences etc
Golden Dawn Tarot Correspondences for this Lunation
Mercury (ruler of Gemini) – The Magician
Gemini – The Lovers
Jupiter in Gemini – 8 of Swords
Mars in Gemini – 9 of Swords
Sun in Gemini – 10 of Swords
Gemini (first two decans of Gemini, final decan of Taurus) – King of Swords
Love and Blessings,