Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions.
~ Dalai Lama
1. Realise that you are responsible for your own happiness. The greatest source of unhappiness in the world today is a sense of disconnect and isolation that comes as part and parcel of our modern lifestyle where most of our communication happens through the ether.
Understand that most people struggle with feeling isolated or disconnected in different ways. We are raising a generation of screen addicted people who may lack real life social skills due to spending way too much time on various social media and gaming platforms.
The only one who can break your own sense of isolation/disconnect is you…
2. Smile. Such a simple thing to do. Use your smile to brighten someone else’s day. You will instantly feel more connected.
Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.
~ Mother Teresa
3. Perform random acts of kindness. Do at least one good deed every day. Pay it forward. Give to charity. Join kindred spirits for a global cause to help the planet. Recycle. Be kind to animals.
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
~ Helen Keller
4. Connect with Nature. Our modern day disconnect from Nature may very well be the main source of dis-ease.
Go outside every day. Open your senses to the beauty that is all around you. Stop and smell a flower. Hug a tree. Just be… It’s OK to do nothing but exchange oxygen/carbon dioxide for a while 🙂
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more
~ George Gordon Byron
5. Look after your body. Treat your body with the loving tender care it deserves. Your body is the vehicle of your soul in this incarnation and you need it for all the experiences and lessons this lifetime brings. Show it gratitude and appreciation by giving it enough sleep and feeding it only healthy food (no junk!).
Break free from addictions. Take up a new hobby in order to re-focus your energy on the rich experience of living rather than a sense of deprivation brought on by giving up a bad habit or addiction.
Taking care of yourself is the most powerful way to begin to take care of others.
~ Bryant McGill
6. Find your flow. There is something… at least one thing… you are passionate about. When you do it, you step into a space that is outside time… there is great satisfaction there, along with a deep sense of purpose and happiness bordering on bliss.
Do more of this, whatever it is. This is why you are here. This is what makes you unique and this is the gift you bring to the web of life. While doing this one thing feels more like play than work, it is very much your vocation. Find it and do it every day and you will never experience a whole day of misery ever again!
True happiness comes from the joy of deeds well done, the zest of creating things new.
~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
7. Keep learning. Invest in your own intellectual and spiritual growth by learning something new every single day. Then share what you learn with others. Keep growing and nurturing others who also wish to grow.
Curiosity is, in great and generous minds, the first passion and the last.
~ Samuel Johnson