The immediate gift of The Fool is an infusion of Source energy. He touches the intellect with innovative ability and playfulness. He gives us emotional freedom and innocence. Physically, he grants us buoyancy and the ability to leap, as well as quick reaction times and clear eyesight. His spiritual gifts are purity and trust.
Last night, invoking The Fool before falling asleep, I had a dream in which I leapt up in the air, time and time again. Not only did I leap but at the height of each leap there was a Nureyev-esque moment of suspension and it felt absolutely fantastic… exhilarating. That was all. No words, no other profound symbols or events.
Pure Fool energy is accessed constantly by children but by adult only in states of flow, i.e. when we are so absorbed in what we are experiencing that time ceases to exist.
The Fool does not observe himself. He is not mindful because his mind is empty. Mindfulness is the spiritual state of being achieved in The World archetypal space, when we transcend those ideas and concepts that have not yet formed in The Fool but that are present within the Source energy that animates him.
Blocked Fool energy results in immature and irresponsible behaviour, madness, lack of trust, stuckness and poor timing (leaping too soon or too late). Physically, we experience lethargy, blurred vision, heavy legs and slow reaction times.
Ungrounded Fool energy leads to anxiety, insomnia and madness.
Chakra: Higher Crown/Soul Chakra
Colour: White light
Crystal: Clear quartz, Aqua Aura
Body: Calves, ankles, eyesight and nervous system
Exercise: Yogic breath and eye exercises, leaping, skipping, jumping, dance improvisation
Stance: Arms forming a V, head tilted back to gaze at the sky
Associated Minor Arcana Cards: All/none. For the purpose of the Healing Key Spread (Appendix A), there is no need to pull an additional advice card if this card shows up in the ‘action/focus’ position.
The Fool Through The Elements
Being aware of your own Elemental balance is key to working with the archetypal energies of the Tarot.
This is a system for calculating the elemental balance that I learned from Astrologer Helen Tremeer during a workshop in Richmond earlier this year.
Go to Astro.com for your free birth chart and locate the planets.
3 points each for the Sun, the Moon, the Ascendant and the MC
2 points each for Mercury, Venus and Mars
1 point each for Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Chiron, Neptune, Pluto and the North Node
There is plenty of space to enter the sign along with the points.
You may also want to colour code the signs according to modality, for instance pink for Cardinal (Capricorn, Aries, Cancer and Libra), brown for fixed (Aquarius, Taurus, Leo and Scorpio) and blue for mutable signs (Pisces, Gemini, Virgo and Sagittarius).
|Sun 3 p|
|Moon 3 p|
|Ascendant 3 p|
|Medium Coeli 3 p|
|Mercury 2 p|
|Venus 2 p|
|Mars 2 p|
|Jupiter 1 p|
|Saturn 1 p|
|Neptune 1 p|
|Uranus 1 p|
|Pluto 1 p|
|Chiron 1 p|
|North Node 1 p|
Corresponding to Air (but actually containing all Elements), The Fool archetype energies flow more freely through Air and Fire where the emphasis is on endless creative possibilities, brilliant ideas and the ability to ‘just do it.’
A Water-logged Fool might struggle with lack of trust due to past experiences or caring too much about how others feel about him.
An Earth-bound Fool might be stuck in the mud, fearing chaos and lack of structure if he leaps into the unknown.
Remedies to help increase the Fool energy in your life:
- You can make a tarot essence to increase The Fool energy, using the Fool card of your choice and a clear quartz crystal.
- Hang crystals in sunny windows to catch the light and spread rainbows in the room for creative inspiration.
- Turn on the radio and improvise a dance to a random piece of music.
- Wear white and bright colours; yellow for intellectual stimulation and innovation.
- Carry a clear quartz crystal, programmed for exhilaration and flow.
- Amber increases trust.
- Smoky quartz clears stuck energy.
Affirmation: “Out of nothing all this was made. The same creative power dwells in me also.”
The Fool energy cannot be banished. ‘Foolishness’ does not result from too much Fool energy as there is no such thing as too much of Source. However you may need to ground your energy if you feel yourself going bonkers or are getting overwhelmed with ideas.
- Go for a walk in fresh air and clear your head. Notice the stability of the ground.
- Sit with your back leaning against a tree for a while.
- Grow roots from your base chakra in meditation if seated and from the soles of your feet if standing up.
- Do some weeding in the garden.
- Bake bread.
- Create Water Element Tarot essence (see Appendix B) if you find yourself ‘too detached’ (Queen of Cups) or an Earth Element tarot essence if you struggle with being realistic (4 of Pentacles).
- Count your breath if you find it difficult to ground your energy before sleeping. As you lie in bed, slowly count to 6 on the outbreath and to 4 as you breathe in.
- Earth colours can help ground excess energy. Beware of wearing too much black and navy as these colours are inhibitors for the Fool energy.
- Young mothers, having just given birth may suffer from rampant Fool energy in need of grounding due to the release of creative energy through the birthing process and the presence of soul of the child itself. Too much may have come unstuck too quickly. Making a Queen of Pentacles tarot essence may be helpful.
LOVE AND RELATIONSHIPS
When the Fool shows up in a love and relationship reading you know that it is OK to take a risk. Don’t be afraid to date someone new or try something new on a first date. Because of the correspondence with the Air Element and the Planet Uranus, it could also indicate that Online Dating is the way forward for meeting someone new.
However if The Fool shows up reversed or ill-dignified it might be a good idea to really consider the consequences before you take that leap.
If The Fool symbolises your love interest in a relationship reading, it’s a sign that this person is a free spirit. In other words, they may not be looking for commitment at this point in time and could even come across as immature.
The Fool is not someone who strings people along but rather someone who attracts people with their innocent spirit and ability to be present in the now, much like a child.
As advice for activities to try out as a couple, this card is a reminder to do silly, playful stuff together and to not take yourselves too seriously.
Sexually, The Fool advises you to free your mind from any inhibitions. Go with the flow and don’t be afraid to experiment. Be completely in the moment. Also anything sexually bizarre (but not dangerous) is associated with the Fool.
Download the Angelorum Big Juicy Book of Holistic Tarot Card Meanings – Part 1 Major Arcana PDF for only £1.99. Includes The Healing Key Tarot Spread, the art of making a Tarot Essence and more…