Woman… wo-man… woe-man… woe to man when woman wakes up and allows herself to feel the witch wound. Woe to any man who does not voluntarily wake up and admit how conditioned he is by patriarchy and what role he has been playing. Woe to us all if we don’t wake up in time and shake off the shackles of patriarchy.
The witch wound* goes deep and it is in all women. It is the wound inflicted by patriarchy on any woman who dared to trust her own power and intuition. Reading WITCH by Lisa Lister is making me realise just how deep it goes in me and that I had only started to scratch the surface of this ancient wound. For that, I will always be grateful to her even though I have huge reservations for the blame she apportions Christianity in more or less giving birth to patriarchy.
Christianity Was Hijacked
You see, I believe it’s the other way around: patriarchy hijacked Christ’s message and bastardised it almost beyond recognition.
I would say that being a Yeshua-loving Witch… but the fact remains that patriarchy precedes Christianity and that the world leaders of the day had an agenda in marrying the Church to the State… an agenda that had absolutely nothing to do with the gospel or establishing the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth.
Everything else she says I am 100% on board with. I even went to Glastonbury to self-initiate a few years back, just like Lisa (yes, same name even)… but back then I was not fully ready to stand in my power as a woman. There was too much self-hatred going on and there are still layers of that particularly unsavoury onion that I’m busy peeling off… But I’m doing it in a spirit of acceptance today. I’m also doing it trusting and wanting to trust other women, which is what patriarchy has always tried to prevent us from doing. You see, divided we fall… but together we RISE!
That wedge between you and I… That glance of yours at the picture of me in the sidebar to see if I’m too old to be a threat or if I’m prettier than you… yes, that bullshit we have been fed about our self-worth, that’s not from Spirit… It’s from the Father of Lies, Overlord of Patriarchy.
We build each other up. But we cannot do this until we heal or at least fully accept our own witch wound.
While the witch wound may look slightly different in you than it does in me, the weapon to inflict it is always wielded in service to patriarchy. These wounds come from having been told to not trust our own power and intuition but instead surrender to our patriarchal leaders. If we didn’t submit in the past, we were often violently made to do so. Our souls and bodies carry memories from past lives… For those of us who were abused by the men who were there to protect us in this incarnation, there is an even more acute burden and the scars have a long way to go before they heal…
Now that patriarchy has adverts to make us submit and conform it doesn’t very often have to use violence, at least not here in the West.
Three shadow dreams of significance in the space of the last few days:
- Hannibal Lechter becomes my lover (in the guise of Mads Mikkelsen, so no complaints) and I wake up horrified… until the penny drops and a broad smile brightens up my face as I realise that this is about accepting and embracing my shadow self.
- I’m getting a reading and ask the reader to clarify the message. She pulls out The Devil and the 5 of Swords and laughs out loud in the dream because of how true the cards feel. I wake up knowing that I’m deep in denial and internally conflicted about something…
- I’m thrown into an underground reservoir. It is black and the water is freezing. I detach from my body and watch it float in the water. I wake up knowing that I have been internally conflicted about my own femininity and the right to even grieve the wounds inflicted by others that made me hate myself and my own body. I wake up knowing that I will never forgive the Witch Wound and that the Goddess is totally OK with that. ‘Use that rage,’ she whispers… ‘Use it for the Highest Good!’
And so here we are… and here is the spread I made to help you heal your own witch wound…
THE HEAL THE WITCH WOUND TAROT SPREAD
- How the witch wound has crippled me
- Which area of my life it affected most
- How I kept the wound alive through self-destruction
- What I must do to heal
- What power and/or possibility will open up to me once I heal
SAMPLE READING WITH THE SWEDISH WITCH TAROT
1. How the witch wound has crippled me
Am I surprised to see a Major Arcana card here? No. And I’m even less surprised that The Fool showed up because my entire journey in this life has been affected. My sense of freedom of self-expression has been seriously impinged.
2. Which area of my life has it affected most?
More than anything it has affected my ability to stick with anything for long enough to yield fruit or be of use to anyone. I found it really difficult as a teen and young adult to put in a focused effort because it all felt so pointless.
3. How I kept the wound alive through self-destruction
Oh boy! I just got bitch slapped by the Tarot! This Queen (in her very worst aspect) is how I used my femininity to get what I wanted. I have been a drama queen. You could rightfully accuse me of having been an attention-seeker and a homewrecker. I fuelled myself with wine to numb myself. I compared myself with other women and concerned myself with who was the Queen Bee.
4. What I must do to heal
The Hanged Man is a sign that keeping up the dream work is a clever idea. My shadow demands to be seen and healed now. Until I reach that point of complete acceptance which means I have no more need to judge myself or anyone else, I will feel uncomfortable and unable to move forward… OK, I finally get it. I relax and stop struggling. I will do the work which is in some ways completely effortless and in other ways excruciatingly painful. I’ve come this far so I might as well keep going.
5. What power and/or possibility will open up to me once I heal
Hahahaha! I love the sense of humour of this deck – ending the reading with the most patriarchal card in the pack! Who’s a drama queen now?! It’s all good though. I know I’m called to teach and teach I will.
Please share your own reading in the comments below and give this post a share for all wounded sisters out there!
Check out this massive library with 300+ FREE Tarot Spreads for personal & spiritual development!