Mabon (Autumn Equinox) is the Second Harvest and follows Lammas (First Harvest). It takes place around the 21 September in the Northern Hemisphere and 21 March in the Southern Hemisphere. Mabon is named after a Celtic deity who was the son of the Earth goddess Modron.
It is a time of gratitude and taking stock of what we have achieved so far in the year and also a time to contemplate where we are at on our Life Journey. It is the gateway between the light and the dark half of the year, where nights and days are equally long. The nights will gradually become longer and move us closer to Third Harvest, aka Samhain, which is the Pagan New Year and the time in the Wheel of the Year that the veil between worlds is said to be at its thinnest.
Mabon is time for bringing anything that is out of whack back into balance as well as sharing our good fortune with those less fortunate. It is a time to slow down and make sure that our physical body is in good working order so that we can stay strong through the dark half of the year.
For Mabon this year, I just wanted a really simple spread, so I created the one below. If you wish for a more in-depth spread, you are welcome to try the Angelic Mabon Tarot spread I created a while back.
- What I can be grateful for so far this year (this year’s ‘harvest’ to be celebrated)
- My greatest achievement (your contribution to the harvest)
- My greatest challenge/lesson
- What needs to be brought into alignment
- What I need to pass on/tithe from my ‘harvest’
SAMPLE READING WITH THE FRIDEBORG TAROT
- What I can be grateful for so far this year – So far this year, I have made a lot of progress thanks to my focus word for the year which is ‘integrity.’ The title for the three of cards in some decks is ‘Virtue.’ It corresponds with Sun in Aries and from a self-development point of view, it is a very positive cards. I’m able to better show the world who I am. My actions line up with my intent and desire to be of service more often than not.
- My greatest achievement – I have stopped sabotaging myself with low self-esteem. I’m extremely aware of my self-talk and the need for keeping it positive/encouraging. This in turn has led to some public recognition as well as a greater willingness to take risks. The 6 of Wands corresponds with Jupiter in Leo and is a card of victory. I decided to win over fear.
- My greatest challenge/lesson. This comes as no surprise and I feel the fear challenges have increased gradually over the year as I have gradually become more capable of dealing with them. The 9 of Swords is a card of fear and anxiety (Mars in Gemini).
- What needs to be brought into alignment. The Black Cat (the extra Major in the Frideborg Tarot). This is my feline nature and has already been hinted at in the 6 of Wands. Let’s make sure she doesn’t get too cocky, eh? I also believe this card means that the more confident version of me still needs to be integrated. There are still weak areas which create incongruent behaviour.
- What I need to pass on/tithe from my ‘harvest.’ I need to teach others how to create a more well-balanced life for greater well-being. (2 of Pentacles (Jupiter in Capricorn)
I wish you a joyful Second Harvest! There has never been a better time to celebrate the gift of life. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about this spread if you decide to give it a whirl and don’t forget to provide your own interpretation with the question.