Don’t die with the music still inside you.
~ Wayne W. Dyer
In this NEW five-part Tarot Spread series, we are going to cover the top five regrets of the dying with individual Tarot spreads for each. I’m choosing this as our focus over the next few weeks, not because I am morbid but because I believe that pondering our mortality and possible regrets at death’s door is one of the fastest and most effective ways to start living fully.
The most common regret among the dying is ‘I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.’ While many younger people don’t struggle so much with doing whatever they want, come hell or high water, at least those of us who are old enough to have started families know a thing or two about compromise.
Many of us also hold ourselves back. Sometimes we use others as an excuse to hide our light under the bushel. This Tarot spread helps us gain clarity about what we really want/need to be doing deep down, the influence of others and how we may be blocking ourselves.
True To Myself Tarot Spread Positional Meanings
- What I would be doing if I had the courage to be true to myself
- How I’m currently aligned with this ideal
- The main challenge I need to overcome to be 100% true to myself
- What others expect of me (or what I perceive others expect of me – if we ask, we usually get a totally different answer to what we think we’d get)
- How others are helping me be true to myself
- How others would perceive me if I were 100% true to myself
- How others might benefit from me being true to myself
- How am I not respecting myself?
- How else am I holding myself back?
- What are my boundaries like with others?
- Which area of my life needs urgent attention with regards to being true to myself?
Sample Reading with the Frideborg Tarot
- What I would be doing if I had the courage to be true to myself – 7 of Wands. I’d be a warrior – a rebel, with a cause and enough courage to fight the good fight.
- How I’m currently aligned with this ideal – 6 of Swords. It’s mostly on the ideas plane but I’m starting to connect with like-minded souls across the globe.
- The main challenge I need to overcome to be 100% true to myself – 3 of Cups. To meet up in real life and get the animal activist party started.
- What others expect of me – Page of Pentacles. That I be a ‘good girl’ and work hard.
- How others are helping me be true to myself – Page of Wands. Those of like mind really inspire me to keep fighting the good fight. They also help me laugh and not take myself so seriously.
- How others would perceive me if I were 100% true to myself – 8 of Wands. A quick and sure-footed communicator of undeniable truths.
- How others might benefit from me being true to myself – The Hanged Man. Compassion for innocent beings who have no voice. I would give everything to ease their suffering.
- How am I not respecting myself? – The Emperor. The looping voice of my inner father, telling me how useless I am and that my opinion doesn’t matter. Some part of me still believes and listens to that voice. I need to break the record!
- How else am I holding myself back? – 6 of Wands. The lack of confidence clearly relates to the previous card. I need to believe in myself more.
- What are my boundaries like with others? – Queen of Wands. Pretty good at the moment. I have learned that ‘No’ can indeed be a complete sentence.
- Which area of my life needs urgent attention with regards to being true to myself? – 6 of Pentacles. Work and how I prioritise my work/life balance. I feel I have a lot more to give if I can align more fully with my inner warrior. I feel this card points to dedicating part of my work to animal charities.
Feel free to share your own reading in the comments below (WITH positional meanings as it is hard to follow along otherwise) and I’m happy to help with any card you may feel stuck on as always.