This post and Job’s Tarot spread that goes with it was created back in 2011, after I lost a baby, got dumped by the baby’s father less than two weeks after, nearly killed myself, and found myself surrounded by ‘frenemies.’ I’m reposting it today because of what surfaced around the most recent solar eclipse, with so many people sharing their sufferings with me… You don’t have to carry it all alone.
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
– Helen Keller
Having suffered multiple afflictions in the past few years, culminating in several incidences of backstabbing and betrayal this year, I was told the other day by a ‘friend’ that it was all happening because of my own negativity and inability to relinquish the ego.
Story of Job, anyone?
The story of Job is a wonderful reminder that we are sometimes made to suffer, not as a result of our own iniquity but for reasons known only to God. It’s also a reminder of what we must sometimes endure in the name of ‘friendship.’
It’s a popular New Age notion that we are the gods of our whole existence. Yet ancient wisdom teaches us that we, for the main part, don’t get to choose the cards we are dealt, only how we play them.
So be comforted if you are sitting there with a shitty set of cards, surrounded by ‘friends’ who tell you it must be your own fault; It’s not your faulty thinking or your inability to understand the Law of Attraction that caused all this, no matter what they say.
You know you have done all you can to stay positive and be a light in the world. Divine justice operates in mysterious ways and friends who think they understand the laws of karma well enough to preach at you instead of giving you a comforting hug have a thing or two coming.
Also, all illnesses aren’t of our own making and if you suffer a miscarriage, the reason may not be revealed until you are reunited with your angel baby on the other side.
That’s not to say we can’t learn from it all in this lifetime – we can. But there will be times when we have to wait patiently for things to turn around and answers to come. In the end, only kindness matters. And this is the lesson Job’s ‘friends’ so utterly failed to understand.
There are times when the Refiner’s Fire is unbearable because we seem so utterly cut off from the comforting embrace of God. These are the times when all we can do is cry for mercy and wait for the break of dawn like the man nailed to the ground in the 10 of Swords.
Yet the end product is always worth the suffering. Because the refiner’s fire turns out nothing but the purest gold.
I have created a spread that you can use whenever you feel afflicted. Hopefully, it will help you see the bigger picture a bit better which can be helpful. It’s also reminder to lift your eyes and ask for mercy. Know that it is there even when you can’t feel it.
Job’s Tarot Spread
1. The source of your affliction – this card gives you a fuller understanding of what it is you are currently experiencing
2. The challenge – this card shows you the challenge you must rise to meet even though you may feel that you can’t take another step. The dynamic between the first two cards and the final card contains the hidden lesson.
3. Friends – this card shows you what kind of support you have available from friends. It’s entirely possible that you have some great support there – not all friends are like the friends of Job! If so, don’t be afraid to let them in. They will be just as blessed in the giving of support as you are in the receiving. However, don’t fret if this indicates that enemies are surplus to requirements with friends like yours. This is not a permanent state of affairs – only part of the test. Forgive them for not being able to see the full picture.
4. Enemies – this card shows you a source of negative influence right now. It is usually other people and will be related to the source of your affliction somehow. The 5 or 7 of Swords in this position is an indication that someone is actively trying to make your life miserable.
5. The Voice of God – use an Angel oracle card for this position, as a comforting embrace of divine mercy. You may also want to place an Angel card over your friends/enemies while blessing them and also over the Source of Your Affliction.
Bless a thing and it will bless you. Curse it and it will curse you…If you bless a situation, it has no power to hurt you, and even if it is troublesome for a time, it will gradually fade out, if you sincerely bless it.
– Emmet Fox