Did you know that your kitchen is full of magick? (the ‘k’ spelling of magic is to differentiate it from stage tricks) One of the most potent magickal ingredients for creating happiness in your home – oregano – probably already sits snugly in your spice rack and I’m betting it was less than a week since you last used this common kitchen herb in your cooking.
Oregano is a herb most people associate with Italian cuisine and pizza toppings. The name oregano (Gr. oros ganos) means ‘mountain joy’ and one historic, joyful, non-culinary use of oregano is as laurels for bride and groom on the wedding day.
Esoterically, this herb is associated with Venus, Goddess of Love, and best used for Friday (Freya/Venus-day) magickal workings.
Oregano is a powerful antioxidant with antibacterial properties and there are many medicinal uses for this wonder herb:
- Kills parasites
- Treats respiratory tract disorders
- Treats gastrointestinal disorders
- Relieves menstrual cramps
- Provides a source of vitamin K (blood clotting agent)
- Treats different skin conditions such as acne and dandruff
- Kills the MRSA superbug
Some of the magickal uses include:
- Handfasting blessing spells (woven into the handfasting cord)
- Inducing dream visions (place a sprig in your hair)
- Happiness spells
- Protection spells
- Love spells (both to attract and let go)
- Good luck spells
- Warding off troublesome individuals
- Use a few drops in an aromatherapy lamp after a break-up to forget an old lover. Plant oregano by your front door or spray the outside walls with an infusion of oregano to protect your home. Keeping pots of fresh oregano on your windowsill is an easy way to invite peace and joy into your home.
What’s not to love about this fragrant herb that filters out all unwanted influences/parasites and allows for joy to come flooding in?!
Thank you, Venus! 😉