The Hermit is a liminal sort of figure. It seems fitting to share the Wyld Godde Tarot Hermit on the day of the 2023 Equinox. This is a time of change and recalibration for the new season. And we do well to tap into the wisdom of our inner Hermit to align and recentre ourselves.
The Hermit can be found on the edge of society. He does not wish to adapt to the conventional morals of patriarchy. Though he may look like the ultimate patriarch and Old Testament prophet, his goals are wisdom and understanding. He learns from the ancient masters who have gone before him, of course. But in order to achieve his goals, he must also spend a lot of time going within. He has to learn to trust that still small voice within. Going within is a feminine pursuit, belonging to the realm of the High Priestess.
Like Odin (who is also associated with the number 9), The Hermit doesn’t mind being accused of being effeminate. And this is why the star of his lantern shines brightly. The six-rayed star in his lantern is the star that aligns Water and Fire, Feminine and Masculine, in the process of soul alchemy aka the Hieros gamos.
Completion and Sacrifice
The number 9 is the number of completion. A woman carries her child for 9 months before giving birth. But giving birth also means death. The woman has to die to her maiden self to become a mother. Odin has to hang on the tree for 9 days and 9 nights, symbolic of sacrificing himself to himself in order to gain the wisdom of the runes.
In the Gospel of Thomas, Yeshua says this about the sacrifice those on a quest for wisdom and understanding are willing to make:
“The human being is like a wise fisher who cast a net into the sea and drew it up from the sea full of little fish. Among them the wise fisher found a fine large fish and cast all the little fish back down into the sea, easily choosing the large fish. Anyone who has ears to hear should hear!” (Logion 8)
7 Questions from the Wyld Godde Tarot Hermit
- Do you default to trusting conventional wisdom or your own gut/heart wisdom?
- What habit can you form that will help you attune to the still small voice within daily?
- What sacrifice(s) have you made in order to gain wisdom and understanding?
- How do you shine the light of your wisdom in the world?
- What hard-won lessons are you qualified to teach?
- What do you feel you are guided to bring to completion for the Highest Good in this lifetime?
- What sacrifice remains to be made in order to achieve this?