Most people think of either poverty or disease, or both when the 5 of Pentacles shows up. And while it’s true that it rarely means good news, the 5 of Pentacles, like all 78 cards, still contains the full spectrum of meanings from dark to light. Today we’ll dive deep into the energy of this card. But let’s begin by looking at some of the negative and positive meanings of this card.
Negative Tarot Card Meanings for the 5 of Pentacles
- Financial Struggles: The 5 of Pentacles may indicate financial difficulties and economic challenges. It suggests a period of scarcity and financial insecurity, where money may be tight and resources limited.
- Illness or Health Issues: This card can represent physical ailments or health challenges. It suggests a time of vulnerability and potential illness, where one’s well-being may be compromised.
- Isolation and Rejection: The 5 of Pentacles can symbolise feelings of isolation and social exclusion. It may indicate a sense of being left out or overlooked, leading to feelings of loneliness and abandonment.
- Lack of Support: This card represents a lack of support and assistance. It suggests that you may be going through a tough time without the necessary help from others, feeling unsupported and neglected.
Positive Tarot Card Meanings for the 5 of Pentacles
- Seeking Assistance: The 5 of Pentacles encourages reaching out for help and support. It reminds you that it is okay to ask for assistance when you need it, whether it’s in terms of finances, health, or emotional well-being.
- Building Resilience: This card can indicate resilience and the ability to overcome challenges. It suggests finding inner strength and resourcefulness to navigate difficult times and emerge stronger on the other side.
- Learning Humility: The 5 of Pentacles teaches humility and the value of interdependence. It reminds you to recognise and appreciate the support and assistance available to you, both from spiritual sources and from loved ones.
Feeling into the 5 of Pentacles
The 5 of Pentacles (Mercury in Taurus) in a reading or as our daily draw shows us that it is time to clear any poverty consciousness or programming. That means deprogramming any thought that makes us believe that we are not supported by benevolent forces.
When we clear that negative thinking and self-talk, we can welcome more abundance and prosperity into our lives. But first, we have to empty out the clutter and stale old energy from our home and person. We can do this mentally by using EFT tapping and affirmations. And we also need to get rid of physical items we no longer need or use by giving them to charity.
Mental energy slows down and sometimes gets stuck
The Tarot 5s can all bring difficult lessons. In the instance of the Earth Suit Five, Mercury rules the intellect and communication. And in the Fixed Earth sign Taurus, all the processes associated with Mercury slow down. Solutions to problems may not spring to mind as quickly as they normally do. Chi/Prana stagnates. Together all these influences spell poverty and dis-ease.
You are not alone
But there is more to the message of this card. At a glance, it may appear rather grim as none of us like the idea of becoming ill or destitute. But the truth is that in our lifetime we all have to navigate spaces of less-than-ideal comfort levels and what this card wants to remind us of is that when we do, we are not alone. The role of the 5 of Pentacles is to teach us healthy interdependence on others as well as humility before the Divine.
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”
~ Psalm 46:1.
There is always spiritual assistance that we can call in. Our nearest and dearest will also be there for us, as long as we remember to ask for help. This is not a time to allow pride to keep us from asking, whether it be for help with our health or finances.
“No one who achieves success does so without acknowledging the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude.”
~ Alfred North Whitehead
Affirmation: “I am OK with asking for help.”
5 of Pentacles Prayer
Dear Mother-Father God, thank you for sending loving support when times are tough. Help me remember to ask for help instead of struggling needlessly on my own. Amen and so it is!
Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Archangel: Uriel, ruler of the Element of Earth
Gemstones: Green and yellow calcite, rose quartz
Essential oils: Myrrh, orange, clove bud and patchouli
The 5 of Pentacles in Love and Relationships
Outer circumstances, financial troubles or health issues could be putting a serious damper on your relationship. This doesn’t mean it’s time to bail; It simply means it’s time to take a closer look at the meaning of ‘for worse’ in your wedding vows. You can overcome anything as a couple if you work together and seek appropriate help, whether it be legal, medical or financial. The key is communication.
The 5 of Pentacles can also indicate the flip side of the coin of healthy interdependency, i.e. codependency. This is especially true if The Devil shows up next to the 5 of Pentacles. It usually indicates wonky power dynamics. It can also indicate one (or both) person(s) in the relationship suffering from addiction issues, especially next to the 7 of Cups.
Single and looking
In a single person’s romance reading, this card could indicate that they don’t feel worthy of finding true love because deep down they believe they are not rich enough or good-looking enough. Or possibly they believe they are not fit/healthy enough.
It’s time to learn how to see with the eyes of compassion and to stop comparing yourself to others as well as identifying so totally with your physical body and/or financial circumstances. You are so much more than that and you are worthy of love.
The 5 of Pentacles card can occasionally indicate a great wordless kind of intimacy where two bodies become one. There is then usually a shared acknowledgement of support through whatever hardships life throws at you as a couple. Physical intimacy could be one of the ways you stay strong as a couple.
But most of the time, the 5 of Pentacles tends to show up when a person feels left out in the cold sexually by their partner. Abuse can indicated if the partnership is co-dependent. Look to surrounding cards.