Isa is the Elder Futhark rune meaning ‘ice’ and it signifies a state of being frozen / unable to move forward. It is time to be still and reevaluate the matter at hand. For things to start moving again, it is probably necessary to resolve repressed emotions. Ice is the frozen form of water and water is the Element of emotions.
The emotional body is the energy body closest to our physical body. If our emotions become frozen, it soon filters down to the body. This rune deals with the connection between soma (body) and psyche (soul), whenever we are looking at health issues that are keeping us stuck as well.
You may have heard the expression ‘frozen with fear.’ This can happen to the best of us – We act on a sense of overwhelm or fear (whether rational or not) by doing nothing. When we are frozen with fear, we perceive that there is no way forward even though someone looking in from the outside could easily point out at least a couple of different ways of starting to move forward once more.
Hence this rune is associated with both the 8 of Swords and The Hanged Man in the Tarot.
The Anglo-Saxon rune poem for Isa:
Ice is very cold and immeasurably slippery;
it glistens as clear as glass and most like to gems;
it is a floor wrought by the frost, fair to look upon.
Learn more about holistic rune meanings and correspondences for Isa HERE.
Isa Ease the Blockage Tarot Spread
1. The emotional foundation of the blockage
2. The nature of the blockage
3. What needs to be expressed to shift the blockage
4. The resolution/outcome provided the advice is taken
Isa Ease the Blockage Tarot Spread – Sample Reading
For this reading, I chose to focus on what is blocking me from leading a truly enchanted life. You can do this as a general reading too and let the cards show you what blockage to focus on.
1. The emotional foundation of the blockage – King of Cups. The Piscean King of Cups corresponds with my Moon in Pisces – Unfortunately a Lunar sign that is easily taken over by fear. My empathic nature makes me sensitive to the fears of others as well. Flying is hell because of this, but gradually getting easier as I learn to protect my energy from those around me and radiate peace from Source instead.
2. The nature of the blockage – 4 of Swords. General inactivity. I avoid acting on many of my dreams and prefer to keep them inside the safe environment of my head. At times, I somatize anxiety so that I can use illness as an excuse for not moving forward.
3. What needs to be expressed to shift the blockage – The Wheel of Fortune. Take more risks. Do more things (any things) that put me outside my comfort zone. Feel the fear and do it anyway!
4. The resolution/outcome provided the advice is taken – King of Wands. I love the colour orange (colour of creativity/sacral chakra) for this Fire Element King! Once I break through my stagnant energy by feeling the fear and doing it anyway, any and all creative blockages will be removed and I can live my best, most fired up and enchanted life, inspiring those I’m meant to reach.