This is one of those articles I really shouldn’t have to write. Most of it is just common sense. But as some of you already know, common sense is so rare that it’s considered a super power these days.
So… Should we read on health issues at all? Some say no and point at the risk of litigation as a main deciding factor, along with the fact that unless you are a health care professional you really don’t have anything to add to the discussion.
However, if you have worked with the Tarot for any amount of time, you will have come to adopt a holistic view about life as a whole, understanding that your state of mind affects your wellbeing and that a healthy human is someone who has a good balance of the Four Elements represented by the four suits in the Tarot.
That said, here are some of the absolute don’ts:
- Never ever diagnose anything
- Do not give information about how to treat or change the treatment for a diagnosed condition
- Do not tell your client to stop taking a certain type of prescribed medication
- Never consider mental health issues to be within your grasp just because they don’t affect the body
Some of the do’s:
- Only work from specific health-related questions
- Only read on the above specific health-related questions after you have made sure the client is receiving medical treatment. Otherwise you must refer them on in the first instance.
- Be very clear that any advice you give out is complimentary and that the client should only follow it if it doesn’t contradict the doctor’s advice
- Look at the client’s emotional wellbeing and how that could be affecting their overall health
- Look at factor’s in the environment that may contribute to dis-ease
- Look at the overall elemental balance or any cards that you relate to the chakras
- Know when to refer the client to a health care professional
In addition to the advice given above, if you feel very drawn to use the Tarot for healing work, do study up on correspondences and also consider learning some sort of alternative or complimentary holistic healing modality.
I find that my work with both Bach Flower Remedies and Reiki is helpful in my Tarot work. All holistic modalities, of which I consider Tarot one, help inform and enrich each other. It is from this integrative way of working with Tarot and energy medicine that I came to develop Tarot Essences.
You may find that some Tarot decks speak more clearly than others about health-related issues and that combining the Tarot with Oracles such as the Archangel Raphael Healing Oracle, Chakra Wisdom Oracle or the Psychic Tarot Oracle works best. The Crystal Tarot is another great holistic deck for questions about health if you work with crystals since the cards have the remedies on them.
What’s your favourite Tarot and/or Oracle deck for doing readings on health-related questions? How has your own health benefited from working with the Tarot? Did I miss any important do’s or don’ts out? I would love to hear from you in the comments below!
Love and Blessings