How are you feeling right now, dear Earth Angel? Are you feeling relaxed and well in yourself or is stress getting the better of you? Let’s focus on self-care and showing our whole being the love and appreciation it deserves this Valentine’s weekend. This is the perfect time of year to make a break with bad habits and replace them with some healthy ones, focused on loving self-care. Small changes to your daily routine can make all the difference to how you feel about yourself.
7 SELF-CARE HABITS TO START THIS VALENTINE’S DAY WEEKEND:
* Feed your spirit – Are you meditating yet? Only five minutes a day can make a world of difference to your stress levels. Simply make sure you have some time to yourself to just BE. Sit or lie down in a position that allows your spine to remain straight and your body relaxed. Lower your gaze or close your eyes. Focus on the breath flowing in and out through your nostrils (breathing only through your nose). Breathe normally and just observe the breath. Gradually release any repetitive thoughts and watch them disappear like clouds dispersed by the wind. You are learning to quiet ‘the monkey mind’ – the first step to spiritual enlightenment.
If you need a bit of support to get you started, check out this guide that lists the 13 best meditation apps!
You may also wish to connect with your angels at the start of the day, for spiritual support and comfort. Learn how HERE.
* Start each day with a mini detox – Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning is a classic Ayurvedic remedy that allows the body to gently flush out any toxins. I like to boil water and fill the mug half full with boiling water then top the other half up with cold water, squeezing the juice of half a lemon in after I have filled the mug with water. In Ayurvedic medicine, the ideal drinking temperature is neither cold nor hot but warm.
Dry brushing with a natural bristle bath brush is another wonderful way of detoxing:
- Use small circular movements
- Start light and gradually add more pressure
- Always work toward the heart
- Start with the soles of your feet
- Work your way up the legs
- Then do your hands and arms
- Do your back and don’t worry about the circular movements for the hard to reach areas
- Finish with the abdomen, chest and neck (avoid the face!)
- Use larger clockwise circular movements across the area of your abdomen to match the natural action of the colon
Allow the whole process to take about five minutes – you don’t want to overdo it!
Your whole skin should be rosy (not redraw!) and a bit tingly after you are done. Now you are ready for your shower. It is important to shower after dry brushing to get rid of all the dead skin cells. To further improve circulation you can alternate between hot and cold water temperature in the shower.
* Smile more – It is such simple thing to do but it will instantly begin to change your biochemistry because you will FEEL better and those around you will respond to your presence in a more positive manner. Best of all, it is completely FREE!
* Learn something new – Learning new things throughout life has been proven to boost happiness levels as well as prevent dementia and Alzheimer. So what fun new class will you sign up for this spring?
* Declutter your life – A spring clean will boost your mood and potentially your finances. What do you have that you no longer need? Giving to charity is great, as is making a few pennies selling unwanted items on eBay. Why not a bit of both?! Once you have created some space in your life, you can open your arms to receive the abundance the Universe has for you!
* Buy yourself flowers – Nothing sends a message of love better than a beautiful bouquet of flowers. If you have never bought yourself flowers before, Valentine’s Day is the perfect time as there are flowers being sold pretty much everywhere. Don’t wait for someone else to appreciate you – appreciate yourself and make this a weekly or monthly habit. As you begin to send yourself the message of self-love, you will begin to attract more positive people and circumstances into your life.
* Pamper yourself at nighttime – Having trouble sleeping? An ancient Ayurvedic remedy for insomnia or poor quality sleep is to massage your feet with sesame seed oil. Use only top quality virgin oil for this purpose and for extra soothing/grounding mix the oil with a couple of drops of either Cedarwood or Frankincense essential oil. You will sleep like a baby!
Wishing you a wonderful Valentine’s Weekend whether you are single or coupled… Love is in the air! 🙂