Beltane Blessings! Beltane is to many Pagans the happiest celebration in the Wheel of the Year… and let’s face it, it’s hard to not be happy this time of year, when all of nature is bursting with colour after the long winter and we get to wake up to birds singing.
The traditional pre Christian celebrations were all about ensuring fertility for both people and and cattle as well as an abundant harvest. This was done by lighting bale fires to burn away all the old, negative influences and create protection for everyone in the household. The word Beltane literally means fires of the God Bel/Belenos.
In the Wheel of the Year, we have reached the place where the young King/God replaces the old King/God and is finally ready to procreate with the Goddess/May queen. The enactment of their coming together in various more or less direct forms (yes, including actual copulating in the fields) is what used to ensure fertility and abundance in the year ahead.
The Tarot spread is one you can use for whatever you intend to call down the Beltane Fire from Heaven this blessed season, be it for new love, fertility, creativity, creative projects, a new fitness regime etc… OR you can just leave it open for general guidance.
Either way, I recommend that you light a candle and sit for a while in meditation before you begin. Breathe slowly and become aware of your own life force energy. Are you ‘full of beans’ or are you nearly running on empty? Just accept what is and open up to receive the blessing…
1. This card symbolises your Chi/Life force right now. This is what your energy is tied up in or how it currently expresses itself.
2. This card symbolises the blessing that is there for you to invoke on Beltane. This is Fire from Heaven but can sometimes come in a very different and non-fiery form. Either way, if it does look more like a challenge, it will be something that will unblock your Chi flow.
3. The ‘Fire proof container’ card symbolises an influence in your life that you can harness in order to avoid burnout. It’s a protective energy. It could also symbolise a supportive person or an attitude you need to adopt if one of the court cards are found here.
4. The Fire (if invoked) will burn away whatever is symbolised by this card, in order to free up more of your Life force energy.
5. The Fire (if invoked) will feed this element in your life. This is where you should focus more effort in the next couple of months.
6. + 7. These two cards expand on card 5.
I just did this with the Witches Tarot by Ellen Dugan and it was spot on.
1. King of Cups. I am a empath, I trust my intuition (when it is about me, could daubt when I read for other ), I’m a good friend and people trust me as a counsler.
2. The page of pentacles. Love be in nature, I want to study (tarot, healing) Im kind and generos (having real problems to say no).
3 Ace of Wands. -here I have a little trouble to understand what the protection is and would love to hear your thoughts. Is it transformation (the butterfly on the card) or the power and new beginnings or something else?
4. Five of Sword- here I think it is the embarrassment of not beeing aible to do things I could before I get outburned and get my kidneydisease. It is everything from doing laundry, cleaning to be around people. And I see the dragonflies as fairies to ask for help.
5. King of Sword.Turning knowledge to action, getting a harder skin (not beeing so worried and
anxiety about things I can’t change.
6. Six of pentacles. Get better to learn recive and not just give, it is now away more giving from my side. Learn to get paid for a reading for example.
7. Knight of Sword – No fear, get out and live.
Do you think I read it right? Always hard not to put in things you want the card to be cause you wish for it. I would be superhappy if you help me with card 3 and if I have sailed away in the dreams of what I want the card to stand for
Blessed Be Jess
Hi Jess, I see two positives for the Ace of Wands in this position: 1) a real desire for a new beginning and 2) acute sensitivity to your own energy levels, which once you pay attention can help you manage your energy better, especially with regards to giving/receiving, which the 6 of Pentacles is talking about. Love and Blessings, Lisa
Pingback: Valborgs tre eldar | Anna's Tarot Blog
This is my favorite time of year. I’m going to share this post with my friend who will love this spread. I nominated you to receive the Liebster Award. The link is on my page if you are interested in participating. All the best to you! http://alandcalledjohnalee.wordpress.com/
Yay! Thank you very much – I hope your friend enjoy the spread. Unfortunately, I don’t have time to participate in blog awards at the minute but I do appreciate the nomination <3
No problem! I know those are a lot of work. I know my friend is going to love the spread and your website.
This spread was awesome! I got such a good reading from it (and Ace of Wands as Beltane Fire! Wow!).
Woohoo! This Beltane is going to ROCK for you! 🙂
Still like your writings though! 🙂
Sorry, but the color is not here, it is just SNOWING HEAVILY AGAIN!
uh oh. whereabouts are you? 😛
Thank you, Jasmine – so pleased you enjoy the new look and happy reading later on! 🙂