Kintsugi for the Broken Heart
There is an ancient Japanese tradition of mending broken pottery with gold-enriched resin, which is said to render the object more beautiful than before it was broken.
This is such a beautiful thought when we consider all the broken hearts on this planet that have been healed by the power of love.
They are indeed more beautiful, more compassionate and also stronger than before they were broken.
“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.”
~ Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
The Kintsugi allegory lends itself beautifully to a Kintsugi for the Broken Heart Tarot spread:
1. The force that broke the vessel of love: The cause of your heart-break
2. The process of gold joinery: How your healing process is progressing
3. The craftsman’s hand: What you can do to help the process along
4. How your heart will be more beautiful once it has healed.
“It has been said, ‘time heals all wounds.’ I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
― Rose Kennedy
Sample Reading with the Art Noveau Tarot
- 2 of Pentacles. Stress and an inability to decide what truly mattered is what caused the vessel to shatter.
- Knight of Cups. You are deep in the Waters of Scorpio and the heartache is soothed by poetry and music.
- Queen of Pentacles. Nurture yourself. Look after your body. Ground into reality by spending lots of time in the arms of Mother Nature. Dig in the dirt. Get a sense of yourself as whole and solid.
- 3 of Cups. Your capacity to rejoice will equal your ability to feel pain… In other words, the amount of joy your heart will be able to hold will increase…
“The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”