The 3 of Cups is one of those cards in the Tarot that we tend to associate with only good things. However, it is important to remember that all 78 Keys contain the full spectrum of light and dark. So let’s begin by looking at some common meanings associated with this card.
Positive Tarot Card Meanings for the 3 of Cups
- Friendship and Connection: The 3 of Cups signifies the presence of true and supportive friendships. It represents the joy and contentment that comes from connecting with like-minded individuals who bring positivity and love into your life. It’s a reminder to cherish the bonds you have and celebrate the friendships that bring happiness and support.
- Celebration and Happiness: This card is associated with joyous celebrations such as weddings, engagements, birthdays, or any joyous occasion. It indicates a time of happiness and festivities, where you can come together with loved ones to share laughter, love, and good times. It encourages you to embrace the spirit of celebration and enjoy the moments of happiness in your life.
- Harmony and Unity: The 3 of Cups represents harmonious relationships and a sense of unity. It signifies the beautiful synergy among individuals, where everyone feels valued, appreciated, and included. It symbolizes teamwork, cooperation, and the power of collaboration. This card reminds you of the importance of working together towards a common goal and creating a harmonious atmosphere in your relationships.
- Abundance and Blessings: The 3 of Cups brings a sense of abundance and blessings into your life. It signifies a time of plenty, where you can enjoy the fruits of your labour and the abundance of love, joy, and positive experiences. It reminds you to appreciate the blessings that surround you and be grateful for the abundance that is present in your life.
Negative Tarot Card Meanings for the 3 of Cups
- Overindulgence: The 3 of Cups can indicate a tendency towards overindulgence in pleasure and celebrations. This card warns against excessive partying, drinking, or engaging in behaviours that may lead to a lack of balance in your life. It is important to practice moderation and self-control to avoid negative consequences.
- Cheating and Betrayal: In some cases, the 3 of Cups can represent cheating, infidelity, or betrayal in relationships. It may suggest that there are third parties involved or hidden agendas present that could disrupt the harmony and trust within partnerships. It is crucial to be cautious and maintain open communication to prevent the erosion of trust and the breakdown of relationships.
- Gossip and Drama: The 3 of Cups can indicate the presence of gossip, rumours, or unnecessary drama within social circles. This card warns against engaging in or perpetuating negative conversations that can damage friendships or create misunderstandings. It is important to cultivate an environment of positivity and support, focusing on uplifting and genuine connections.
Remember, the interpretation of tarot cards is not fixed and can vary depending on the surrounding cards and the context of the reading.
Feeling into the Energy of the 3 of Cups
The 3 of Cups (Mercury in Cancer) is a card of friendship and celebration in its most positive aspect. In the traditional Rider Waite imagery, you will see three young maidens dancing joyfully, cups raised. It can also indicate the birth of a child, an engagement, a wedding, an anniversary or some other joyful celebration/ceremony. It all depends on the surrounding cards and the question from the Seeker.
Negatively aspected, the 3 of Cups can indicate overindulgence, cheating, triangulation and gossip.
But let us consider the friendship aspect of this card some more. Not everyone finds it easy to make friends so that energy is also found on the spectrum of this card. It could show up in a reversal or next to cards that speak of isolation, like the 3 of Swords, 4 of Pentacles or The Hermit.
“Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it’s not because they enjoy solitude. It’s because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them.”
~ Jodi Picoult
What the angels want us to know is that they are more than happy to help us with our friendships, because they too are our friends. Their way of helping us find new friends and to form healthy, solid friendships is by showing us how to first be our own best friend and then start extending friendships to others by being the sort of friend we want more of in our lives. The angels can inspire us to be the sort of friend we would like to have more of in our lives.
“There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.”
~ Jane Austen
3 of Cups Combinations with other Tarot Cards
“A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.”
~ Elbert Hubbard
Affirmation: “I am my own best friend and a great friend to others.”
3 of Cups Prayer
Dear Mother-Father God, thank you for the joy of friendship and kindred spirits. Help me BE the friend I seek in others. Amen and so it is!
Correspondences for the 3 of Cups
Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Archangel: Gabriel, ruler of the Element of Water
Gemstone: Pearl, aqua aura, mother of pearl
Scent: Melissa, lemon, coffee
The 3 of Cups in Love and Relationships
The 3 of Cups is the card you want to show up if you have planned a romantic getaway. This is precious, fun-loving yet tender energy that tends to get more expressive after a glass of wine or two.
If you’re single and want to date, you really can’t afford to turn down party invitations when this card shows up. Get out there and mingle!
It’s a card of whispering sweet nothings and making the other person blush. It’s a card of dancing the night away and sharing breakfast together the next morning. With The Lovers and/or The Hierophant you could expect wedding bells eventually.
However, if the 3 of Cups shows up reversed or ill-dignified, it could be a sign that your lover is sharing himself this way with more than one person. Monogamy might not be their forte. All 3s can indicate triangulation, depending on surrounding cards.
Under the duvet, this card is a promise of a mutually satisfying time. You are emotionally in tune with each other and respond intuitively to what your lover finds pleasurable.