The Hermit, Major Arcana card number nine, corresponds with Virgo in Astrology. Archangel Raziel is the corresponding Archangel. This card has many meanings, some of which overlap with those for the Zodiac Sign of Virgo. As with all 78 keys, the card meanings are on a spectrum from light to dark. No card in the Tarot is all positive or negative. Below you will find some traditional Tarot card meanings associated with The Hermit.
- Solitude and Reflection: The Hermit encourages taking time away from distractions to contemplate and gain insights. It’s an opportunity for self-discovery and personal growth.
- Wisdom and Guidance: The card represents seeking knowledge and understanding from within. The Hermit guides you towards finding your answers and encourages self-reliance.
- Introspection and Soul Searching: It’s a time for deep reflection and introspection, leading to a better understanding of yourself and your purpose in life.
- Inner Strength and Resilience: The Hermit signifies the ability to withstand challenges by drawing strength from your inner self. It reminds you of the resilience you possess.
- Teacher and Mentor: The card represents the opportunity to learn from and be inspired by a wise mentor or teacher who can offer valuable guidance in your life.
- Isolation and Loneliness: The Hermit, in a negative context, can indicate an excessive withdrawal from society, leading to feelings of isolation and loneliness.
- Social Disconnection: It may suggest a lack of connection with others, possibly due to fear of or aversion towards social interactions.
- Withdrawal from Reality: This interpretation highlights a tendency to escape from reality by retreating into your own thoughts and avoiding real-world responsibilities.
- Excessive Introspection: While introspection can be positive, too much of it can lead to self-absorption and obsessiveness, causing you to detach from the present moment.
Feeling Into the Energy of The Hermit
The Hermit corresponds with the Third Eye chakra. This archetype helps us connect with our inner wisdom through life reviews and acknowledging the lessons of the past. The Hermit shows us how to shine our light of deep understanding in the world as guides, mentors and teachers.
As you may well have guessed The Hermit is also a card of being alone and isolated. It is in the name of the card. The isolation can be self-imposed but this is not always the case. We don’t always choose to be on our own. An example of isolation imposed from the outside by authorities is the 2020 lockdowns. Many went into Hermit mode against their will. This led to both catastrophic and beneficial consequences, depending on how the individual adapted to isolation.
A Focus on the Inner Life
The energetic focus of The Hermit card is on inner life. He gains perspective through careful analysis of past events. Withdrawal is necessary for this, and sometimes we desire to ‘hermit away’ to catch up with ourselves. This is a deep human need that we need to acknowledge, especially in this day and age when clients and employers expect us to be available 24/7 due to technological advances.
In the Zodiac, this card connects with the energies of the 6th House – the House of Virgo. Virgoan energies are concerned with service, employment, purity, diligence, details, health matters, fitness, diet, detoxification, digestion, assimilation, stress coping mechanisms, the healing process and ideas about rejection.
Too much mental focus on Virgo matters without an understanding of how to ground the energy can generate anxiety. OCD and hypochondria (please never use the cards to diagnose) resonate with the heavier/darker energy on The Hermit spectrum.
The Teacher Archetype
The highest expression of The Hermit is the Teacher. This is the stage we reach on our journey when we have the courage to face our whole inner world and all its worries with compassion and a resolution to heal all that needs to be healed as soon as it comes up, rather than suppress it.
As opposed to The Hierophant who is a teacher of exoteric tradition, The Hermit draws his wisdom from two streams, including the esoteric stream of The High Priestess. Both these streams have been pouring through The Hermit for some time before he emerges on the scene to teach. A prerequisite is that he must have experienced and lived the wisdom he shares with others.
At this stage of his development, The Hermit becomes a soothing influence in the lives of others and is able to help them without the burden of a saviour complex.
Angelic Correspondence: Archangel Raziel
Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chakra: Third Eye
Colour: Purple, indigo
Crystal: Carnelian, Amethyst, Chevron amethyst, Citrine, Peridot, Ametrine, Aragonite, Sodalite, Dumortierite (for past life review), Gaspeite
Body: The abdomen, large and small intestine, lower liver lobes, pancreas, hands, nails and carpal bones in the hands, and the umbilical cord. The Virgo correspondence influences the reproductive system and indicates barrenness.
Exercise: Most forms of exercise as long as it is both regular and moderate. Having/designing a routine and setting achievable goals. Recording progress. Bhastrika Pranayama.
Stance: Shoulder stand
Magickal Tool/Ingredient: Owl feathers, flail
Associated Major Arcana Cards (through numerology): The Moon
Associated Minor Arcana Cards: All cards associated with Virgo
- 8 of Pentacles (Sun in Virgo). Create order and routines for yourself. Chaotic impulses and influences are detrimental. Healing comes through diligently working on your health and fitness goals
- 9 of Pentacles (Venus in Virgo). Healing comes through pampering yourself and making sure your physical body is loved and cared for properly. Can also indicate the benefits of some retail therapy. A great card for healing poverty consciousness
- 10 of Pentacles (Mercury in Virgo). Healing follows when we fulfil our duty of care to future generations. Invoke healing for generations future and past with this card. Family curses and negative genetic influences can be overturned.
- King of Pentacles. Acting responsibly and being faithful in Divine service brings healing. The King of Pentacles is the Good Steward archetype who ensures that the granary is full during times of need.
Remedies to increase the energy of the Hermit in your life
- You can make a tarot essence to harness and increase the energy of Virgo, using the Virgo card of your choice, along with any of the crystals above that you feel drawn to work with.
- Placing the Hermit card over your third eye chakra in meditation enhances your ability to assimilate difficult life lessons and gain wisdom from them
- Start a regular meditation practice
- Wear dark blue clothes/dress conservatively
- Pay attention to details
- Do a life review
- Keep a journal
- Do a detox
Affirmation: “Divine Service is my greatest joy and blessing.”
Angelic Invocation to Archangel Raziel
Blessed Archangel Raziel, thank you for helping me tap into my divine inner wisdom today. Help me to see clearly what is truly happening in the world so that I can act as a guide and teacher on my path. Amen and so it is!
- Go out with friends, visit a noisy bar or nightclub
- Wear red
- Take centre stage
- Take the day off and engage in self-care (something that can seem indulgent to The Hermit)
- Give in to desire without shame
- Call someone you haven’t spoken to for a while just to show them you care
Love and Relationships
It almost goes without saying that the Hermit-type personality often prefers his own company over the company of others. However, this card still has a rather interesting role to play when it shows up in love and romance readings.
If it describes the one you desire, you may find that they are either too happy on their own or too self-involved to be open to your flirtatious invites. Or it could describe someone who has chosen to withdraw in order to heal past hurts. If the latter is true, they may well come back out to play eventually. Surrounding cards will tell you more.
Give them space
If you are already in a relationship with someone who is going through a Hermit phase, it is important to give them the time and space they need for contemplation. Next time, it may be your turn. We all have periods in life when we need solitude in order to gain clarity, wisdom and insights.
The Hermit can also symbolise a platonic relationship or a relationship with enforced celibacy due to physical separation.
The Hermit personality may not be celibate but his sexual expression can be mainly autoerotic. A phobia for anything deemed unclean could be indicated.
Sexually, the Hermit has a shy, almost virginal quality and won’t take kindly to a less than considerate approach in the bedroom. If you are in a relationship with a Hermit type, you need to realise that his or her greatest erogenous zone is their mind. The words you use will matter and the connection you intend to establish better have depth! You build trust in this relationship by listening to and appreciating the wisdom they share.
Agreed long-term celibacy for any number of reasons is another possibility when this card shows up in a reading.
It is quite easy for the negatively aspected Virgoan Hermit to become cynical and choose isolation for reasons of mistrust rather than seeking to gain spiritual insights.
Corresponding to the Virgo Mutable Earth sign, the Hermit, although often wrapped up in deep philosophical ponderings, appreciates and desires physical tokens of affection.
CLICK HERE for a Tarot Spread inspired by The Hermit. It was created for the Virgo New Moon but can be used any time you wish to dive deeper into the energies of Virgo/The Hermit.