This post about rune meanings for Fehu from 2017 has been edited and updated in August 2023.
Most of what we know about the Elder Futhark runes has been handed down to us from our Norse Pagan ancestors via Christian writers in the Middle Ages. It is my understanding that the runes, like so much of civilization, are much older than we think.
At the bottom of this post, I have added my understanding of how to work with this rune based on past life memories from the pre-Lemurian era of Hyperborea. When this post was first published, I had access to some of my past life memories but not going as far back as my incarnation on Earth during the time of Hyperborea.
Fehu – Rune of Abundance
The Norse word ‘fehu’ is ‘fä’ in modern Swedish and simply means ‘cattle.’ Back in Viking times, cattle were wealth and considered moveable wealth as opposed to the wealth of Othala which is more connected with home and property.
All sorts of magical and esoteric meanings have been superimposed on this basic meaning of the Fehu rune. Two of the more commonly universally acknowledged ones in rune lore are those of ‘luck’ and ‘reputation.’ Perhaps because this is the first rune of the 24, it is also said to mean ‘new beginnings.’
No doubt, Fehu, like all runes carry magical properties.
Stripped back meaning based on the actual word and shape
You can try taking the stance of Fehu for yourself to feel the rune’s energy in the body. Simply stand up straight (preferably barefoot outdoors) and place your arms like the two ‘pegs’ sticking out from the straight line. You can try holding your palms up (to receive) and then turn them down (to bless) and see which stance feels most natural. I believe both come into play since Fehu is about circulating the life force in the form of physical abundance.
- Polarity: Feminine
- Colour: Green, white or gold
- Astrological correspondences: Venus
- Tarot card correspondences: The Empress
- Archangel correspondences: Archangel Anael (Venus)
- Chakra correspondences: First, second and fourth
- Health: General vitality, heart, neck, throat, ears, lower back, kidneys, cervix, urinary tract
General: generosity, abundance, luck – reversed: miserliness, inability to receive, overgiving
Love & relationships: strong sexual attraction, relationship based on common material goals – reversed: lack of physical attraction
Health/wellbeing: great vitality levels, high energy – reversed: feeling drained, low energy
Business: new opportunities, good investments – reversed: funds are being drained, low yield
Holistic Healing Tips for Fehu
When Fehu shows up (especially if reversed), it could be a sign that you need to connect more deeply with Nature and Her rhythms and cycles. Your energy has become drained and stagnant because there is no natural flow between giving and receiving. Flow with the breath. Take bigger breaths. Feel the inhale expand your heart.
Give and forgive. Let go (donate to charity) and make room to receive.
Plant a new plant or sow it from seed and do it with the intent to cultivate some new talent or venture.
Ground your energy by walking barefoot.
Seek out calm, slow down your mind and ruminate on the goodness of existence. Chew slowly and mindfully when you eat. Trust in life. Affirm the goodness of life. Give thanks.
Place the Fehu rune on the chakra you feel is in need of it and/or visualise drawing the energy of the upright rune into that chakra. You can chant the rune name (fay-who) at the same time if you feel that helps.
- I flow with the natural rhythms and cycles of Mother Nature.
- I give with a joyful heart and receive with open arms what is for the Highest Good.
- All my needs are met.
- I connect with the world around me through caring for others.
- I am loving, lovable, loved and cared for.
- My health and vitality levels increase day by day.
- I am infinitely abundant.
Dear Mother-Father God, Thank you for the abundance you have blessed me with, my body, my talents and all that I need to thrive. Help me to be truly grateful and yet detached as if everything belongs to me and nothing is mine. Amen and so it is!
Fehu and Hyperborean Water Magic
In Hyperborea, we used the runes for water magic. We created elixirs and essences that carried the energy of an individual rune or a combination of runes. These potions were also applied to bath water. The memory of this magic is resurfacing now so that we can also help the environment.
How to Charge the Water
- Draw the rune over your glass or another glass vessel with the pointer and middle finger on your dominant hand.
- Chant the name of the rune three times.
- Visualise the rune glimmering in the colour of your choice as you chant (see colour correspondences above)
- Visualise the light from the rune charging every molecule in the water until the light expands beyond the glass. When the light has formed an aura around the glass that you can either see or feel with your hands, it is ready to drink/use.
Fehu Water Magic for Yourself
- Drink a glass of Fehu-charged water first thing in the morning to rehydrate and have radiance and high vitality levels all day long
- Make a Fehu essence for prosperous new beginnings for any new venture
- Pour a Fehu essence into your bath for revitalisation
- Make a Fehu essence with the intent of being more magnetic to abundance
- Mix in a drop of Fehu-charged water with your skin cream or just dab the water on your face for rejuvenation
Fehu Water Magic for the Environment
Please note that it is polite to ask the water what it needs before adding rune-charged water to it. If the water is dead, it may not be able to answer. If that is the case, Fehu is the first remedy to give to bring it back to life. To receive an answer, you can simply tune into the consciousness of water and wait for the correct rune to appear in your mind or you can cast the runes/pull a rune.
- Pour Fehu-charged water into a body of water that has been polluted to bring it back to life and create harmonious, structured water.
- Charge all water that you water your plants with or give to your pets/livestock with this revitalising rune.
- Use Fehu-charged water to form a bond with the spirit of a specific body of water. The revitalising essence then acts as an offering to that spirit and it will put it to the best possible use.
Click HERE to try the Fehu Rune Tarot spread!