If Ansuz is the divine guidance rune, the next rune in the Elder Futhark rune row, Raidho, is the divine action rune. It’s the rune that prevents us from guidance overload and inspiration constipation. Raidho is the rune that inspires us to move in the directions of our desire.
Raidho is a reminder that actions speak louder than words and that just dreaming of making the world a better place isn’t going to cut it. You have to be willing to roll your sleeves up and get your hands dirty… and you have to be willing to fall over in order to learn how to first walk and then run. Thus the Raidho rune is about taking risks.
The etymological meaning of the Raidho rune is ‘to ride’ but this rune soon took on the meaning of right action, which is obviously only possible once you have the clarity provided by Ansuz. Acting without taking instruction usually doesn’t end well.
I love that we reached this rune at the time of the Aries Full Moon because it very much carries this energy of being illuminated by our desire from within, to the point of it spilling over into action that is fuelled by our deepest desires.
The Anglo-Saxon rune poem for Raidho:
Riding is a comfort to every warrior
in the hall, and very trying to those who sit upon
a powerful courser over the mile-paths.
You can read more about the Raidho rune meanings from a holistic point of view HERE.
The Tarot spread below can help you move forward in spite of any fears and doubts that may be holding you back.
The Raidho Rune Risk-Taking Tarot Spread
- What is my deepest fear as I act on this desire?
- Where does this fear stem from?
- How can I feel the fear and move forward anyway?
- What should my first step be?
- What risk lies ahead?
- What do I potentially stand to lose?
- What do I potentially stand to gain?
- The most likely outcome
Raidho Rune Tarot Spread Sample Reading
- Deepest fear – 5 of Wands (Saturn in Leo): Creative blocks, not having enough inspiration to push through until the end.
- Where does this fear stem from? – 6 of Pentacles (Moon in Taurus): Not feeling worthy… Feeling like a beggar and beggars can’t be choosers.
- How do I move forward anyway? – The Hanged Man (Neptune): Allowing for a change of perspective to be born from the imagination.
- What should my first step be? – Ace of Wands (Fire): The ‘Just Do It!’ card says I’m ready now. The shift in perspective will come with the doing because the doing increases my creative power.
- What risk lies ahead? – The Magician (Mercury): Too much in the head and not enough in the heart.
- What do I potentially stand to lose? – The Hermit (Virgo): Practical wisdom is deeply rooted in the heart. This could end up being a useless creation if I fall into the head trap.
- What do I potentially stand to gain? – 10 of Cups (Mars in Pisces): This is my Natal Mars. I would become more greatly aligned with my natural passion and drive and feel more whole/complete thanks to it. It would also give me a greater sense of community and communion with others since I would be connecting more from the heart, with compassion.
- The most likely outcome – 6 of Wands (Jupiter in Leo): The project would be a success and I would gain confidence in the process.
Feel free to share your reading in the comments below! As always, I’m happy to help if you get stuck, provided you include your own interpretation and positional meanings for each card.