Because of the inherent symbolism, most people wish for The Lovers to show up in a reading about a love interest. This can indeed mean confirmation of a grand romantic adventure but The Lovers is about so much more. And, like all 78 Keys, this card contains the full spectrum of light and dark meanings. Let’s start by taking a look at some of the common positive and negative meanings of this Arcanum.
Here are 5 positive and 3 negative tarot card meanings for The Lovers:
Positive Tarot Card Meanings for The Lovers
- Divine Love: The Lovers card represents a deep spiritual connection and the union of two souls. It signifies a love that goes beyond the physical realm and provides a profound sense of fulfilment.
- Soul Connection: The Lovers often indicate the presence of a soul mate or a significant relationship that brings joy, harmony, and emotional contentment. It represents a deep connection and mutual understanding between partners.
- Choice and Alignment: The Lovers card presents an opportunity for personal growth and self-discovery. It reminds you to align your heart and mind so that you can make choices that are in alignment with your true desires and values.
- Spiritual Awakening: This card encourages spiritual growth and the integration of the divine masculine and feminine energies within oneself. It symbolizes the journey towards enlightenment and the awakening of higher consciousness.
- Harmony and Balance: The Lovers signify the balance and harmony that can be achieved in relationships. It represents open communication, mutual respect, and the ability to work together towards common goals.
Negative Tarot Card Meanings for The Lovers
- Disharmony and Conflict: In some cases, The Lovers card can indicate disharmony or conflicts within a relationship. It may suggest a lack of communication, differences in values, or difficulties in finding common ground.
- Difficult Choices: The Lovers card can represent a situation where you are faced with a difficult choice or decision. It may imply being torn between different options or struggling to find the right path forward.
- Codependency: In certain contexts, The Lovers card can suggest a tendency to rely too heavily on others for validation and emotional fulfilment. It may indicate a need to cultivate independence and self-love, rather than seeking validation solely from external sources.
Remember, tarot cards can have various interpretations depending on the context of the reading. These meanings are a general guide and should be considered in conjunction with other cards in a spread.
Feeling into the Energy of The Lovers
The Lovers (Gemini) show us that the secret to soul alchemy is love. The coming together of the divine feminine and masculine within is symbolised by a human love relationship in this card. And yes, this card can absolutely signify human love in a reading.
But the human ego often mistakenly thinks human romance is all that matters. Our human love relationships last less than the blink of an eye. The alchemical wedding, the Hieros Gamos, is eternal. Compared to the dream of happily ever after, it is the real deal.
So the first question The Lovers is asking us is, ‘Do you have enough facts to proceed?’ This may seem like a strange question to ask if this card is about love. However, this is ultimately about the kind of love that awakens us from the illusion of being separate from the Beloved. This is why the second question that our Higher Self almost nags us with is, ‘Is this really true?’
The Facts Matter
If you are in a dream and do not realise you are in a dream, it is because you do not have access to facts that can help you awaken. Gemini energy is often trivialised but facts and the ability to ask the right questions are the cornerstones of any kind of growth and learning.
So human love is a mystery that demands that we start peeling back the layers. We must follow our hearts on the quest for love, this much is true. But we cannot rely only on the heart (feminine), we must become clear about the best way forward by engaging our mind (masculine) and understanding (wedding) the facts.
Choice, Alignment and Surrender
In the Marseille Tarot, this process of alignment/alchemical wedding is symbolised by a male lover having to choose between two female lovers. His emotions are guiding him this way and that. The angel hovering above him represents his Higher Self.
The Higher Self is capable of making decisions for our best and highest good as soon as we surrender. We allow for alignment to take place by surrendering to Higher Will and then, with the facts in hand, our heart and mind can align.
The Lovers show us that we came here to know good and evil deeply. We came here to choose until we are ready to surrender and transcend. Our souls craved this experience and our loving Divine Mother and Father gave it to us.
When we reconnect with their eternal divine love within, the very stuff that we are made of, surrender becomes easy. We no longer need to be validated by an external polar opposite. When we reach this level of emotional freedom, we can come together in a relationship where we no longer seek to take, only to be and give.
This quote by Rumi sums up what the spiritual lesson in The Lovers is all about:
“This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First, to let go of life – In the end, to take a step without feet…”
The Heart Portal
The Lovers card represents choices about matters of the heart but also any matter that affects us on an emotional level and where we need to align the heart with the head. Sometimes it’s not possible to do this. In those cases, we have to go with either the heart or the head.
That is… until we return to a state of grace and innocence. Choosing from the zero-point is choosing in a surrendered state where only love is real. So no matter what we choose, our heart is on board.
A Return to Innocence
It is possible to return to innocence after we have learned that separation is a dream or illusion when we have navigated the spaces of the first five cards of the Major Arcana. But we do have to learn to see ourselves as separate first. We came here to experience a personality self after all. The reconnection often begins through Arcanum V through religion (Latin religare – reconnect) or ancient wisdom teachings (again, access to facts).
When in a 6/VI The Lovers year numerologically, many people end up making a definite choice to either stay with or leave a partner. Many also meet one of their soul mates in a personal year 6. It is a year of choices and having to face our deepest desires about loving and being loved in return.
On the Kabbalistic Tree of Life, the number 6 is considered a transitory state because it is impossible to harmonise opposites for very long on this plane of existence.
The Lovers and Gemini
Nobody likes to see the Gemini Minors (8,9 or 10 of Swords) in a reading. These are harsh influences that we would rather do without. We are pierced by these swords because they are part of the fabric that blinds us to reality. But we can learn how to turn them into allies against the darkness of the ego mind. How? By turning every thought in our minds into its opposite. This is the actual process of alchemy that The Lovers teach us.
Try it with your scariest most persistent negative thoughts – the thoughts that really induce fear and anxiety. Better yet, exaggerate them, ideally in front of a mirror. Repeat them to your own face until they no longer hold any power over you and then say the opposite, the antidote, a loving message from your Higher Self to your soul.
Nothing to Fear But Fear Itself
In truth, we have nothing to fear but fear itself. The greatest challenge of our lives is to overcome fear and realise that we are not separate from love. Fear holds no power over us once we realise this.
The spiritual gift of the Lovers is to teach us the ability to integrate and transcend opposites. Mentally, the gift is to help us pierce the illusion that anything but love is real. The emotional gift is to engage the heart in the decision-making process.
On a physical level, the gift of The Lovers is an ability to ignore the body’s physical needs for a period of time (handy when fasting or running a marathon for instance). However, this can be detrimental if a person continually neglects their physical needs. The antidote is The Empress – nurturing ourselves and spending time in nature. So if the 10 of Swords (Sun in Gemini) or The Lovers cards are stalking you, log off and go for a walk. Then go home and cook a nourishing meal.
Ultimately, this freedom from the physical boundaries of our own bodies exists so that we can surrender to the Beloved… and take that step without feet.
Angelic Correspondence: Archangel Jophiel
Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Chakra: Heart Chakra
Colour: Green, pink, yellow, white
Crystal: Rose quartz, Aventurine, Pink/Green/Yellow Jade, Emerald, Pink tourmaline, Malachite
Body: Arms, shoulders, upper ribs, lungs, bronchial tracts, hands, the nervous system
Exercise: Improvised movement originating in the heart, devotional dance, pranayama (yogic breathing exercises)
Stance: Hands crossed over heart
Magickal Tool: Sword
Associated Major Arcana Cards (through numerology): The Devil
Associated Minor Arcana Cards: All cards associated with Gemini
- 8 of Swords (Jupiter in Gemini). Healing through focus and liberating the mind from distractions.
- 9 of Swords (Mars in Gemini). Healing through directly facing the source of fear and anxiety.
- 10 of Swords (Sun in Gemini). Healing by starting over with a whole new thought paradigm.
- King of Swords (Gemini) Healing through transcending duality and objective analysis.
The Lovers Through The Elements
The Airy Lovers excel at communication in their own element but they may begin to neglect their physical needs or become too aloof in relationships.
In the element of Fire, The Lovers sparkle like bubbles in champagne.
In Water, they are challenged to seek intimacy. They are tested but determined to succeed. Often they swim on their backs instead of facing each other in the water.
In the Earth Element, The Lovers have a tendency to get bored and antsy. The energy isn’t moving quickly enough. Escapism becomes a very real temptation.
Remedies to increase the energy of The Lovers in your life:
- You can make a tarot essence to increase the energy of The Lovers, using the Lovers card of your choice, along with any of the crystals above that you feel drawn to work with. There is plenty of information on the healing properties of each of the crystals available online.
- Meditate lying down with the Lovers over your Heart Chakra to balance male/female energy and restore harmony.
- A tarot essence made of The Lovers can be used to attract a soul mate or to help you make an important choice where you are torn between following your heart or doing what you think is right in your mind.
- Place rose quartz in various places in your home to create an atmosphere of unconditional love.
- Create a tarot essence of one of the associated Minor Arcana cards (see above for uses). Only do this if you are clear on the healing purpose of each of the cards as the Swords often evoke negative feelings. Needless to say, negative emotions are counterproductive to healing.
- Start a regular pranayama practice. Begin with 5 minutes a day.
- Wear pink to soften your expression if you have a tendency to be harsh with your words.
- Express your love and gratitude for your loved ones daily.
- Smile or chat with a stranger.
- Chant ‘Om Mani Padme Hum’
- Volunteer for charity work.
- Sound ‘haaaaaaaaa’ to release any blocks to love.
Angelic Tarot Affirmation: “I make all choices with my heart and mind aligned.”
Angelic Invocation to Archangel Jophiel
Dear Archangel Jophiel, thank you for giving me eyes that easily detect the awe and beauty of the Divine on Earth. Help me radiate that same beauty which is the beauty of my true soul essence, never separate from Source. Amen and so it is!
- Spending time in the great outdoors greatly calms agitated nerves and grounds excess Lovers energy.
- Create routines for nurturing your physical self.
- Listen. Stop talking and truly listen beyond memorising facts.
- Do some practical work with your hands.
- Send thoughts of loving gratitude to all your exes for the lessons they brought.
Love and Relationships
The Lovers is a card we’re all quite happy to see in a love and relationship reading since it’s almost always a sign that the person we are reading for is involved or about to be involved with one of the key players in his or her life – a soul mate even.
However, this doesn’t always mean that the other person is The One in the sense that they end up being the one the seeker settles down with. It simply means that this person has come into the seeker’s life for a reason (to mirror qualities of self). Important choices that shape the seeker’s future may have to be made due to the impact of this relationship.
Single and Looking
In a single person’s Love Tarot reading, The Lovers typically means that they are about to meet a new love interest. However, 3 of Swords can indicate that the feelings won’t be reciprocated or that there are major obstacles in coming together. The Knight of Wands is a sign that a love interest is likely to be a player rather than someone who is willing or able to commit.
Commitment on the Cards?
If The Lovers card shows up in a reading for someone who is already in a relationship, it is often a sign that they or the person they are involved with is ready to take the relationship to the next level. Reversed, and/or next to Justice and depending on other cards in the reading, it could indicate divorce.
It can also indicate that you can now simply enjoy the pleasure of the company of your beloved, especially in the combination of the 10 of Cups and the 4 of Wands. Show your beloved that you have no intention of taking them for granted and vow to yourself to make the happiness last.
The Lovers can also indicate a soul mate with which you share a past life connection, especially together with the 6 of Cups.
Intimacy with The Lovers
On an intimate level, language and expressing one’s wishes fearlessly to the beloved are part of the energy of this card which corresponds with the sign of Gemini. Light touch, lots of laughter, whispering sweet nothings and tickles (feathers!) suit the Gemini energies.