The 8 of Cups is the ‘Time to move on!’ card in the Tarot deck. But, like all the cards, it has a variety of meanings and covers the full spectrum from light to dark. So, before we dive deep into the Piscean waters of this card, let’s take a look at some of the common positive and negative card meanings.
Positive Tarot Card Meanings for the 8 of Cups
- Moving on: The 8 of Cups represents the courage and wisdom to leave behind situations, relationships, or habits that no longer serve your highest good. It signifies the opportunity for growth and personal transformation by embracing new experiences and adventures.
- Seeking inner fulfilment: This card encourages you to explore your inner world and embark on a spiritual journey. It signifies the desire to discover your true purpose in life and align with your Higher Self. It prompts you to prioritise emotional well-being and find satisfaction within yourself.
- Embracing change: The 8 of Cups signifies a willingness to embrace change and let go of attachments to the past. It encourages you to trust the journey ahead, even if it means stepping into the unknown. This card reminds you that by releasing what no longer serves you, you create space for new opportunities and growth.
- Self-care and self-love: The 8 of Cups reminds you to prioritise your own well-being and emotional needs. It encourages self-reflection, self-compassion, and taking care of yourself on a deep level. This card advises you to honour your feelings and make choices that align you with your authentic self.
Negative Tarot Card Meanings for the 8 of Cups
- Fear of the unknown: The 8 of Cups can indicate a fear of the unfamiliar or uncertainty that comes with leaving behind what is comfortable. It signifies the struggle to let go of what is familiar, resisting change out of fear of the unknown or attachment to the past.
- Grief and loss: In some cases, the 8 of Cups can represent the sadness and grief that come with leaving behind relationships, situations, or aspects of your life that were once significant. It reminds you that endings can be painful, but they are necessary for personal growth and new beginnings.
- Escapism and avoidance: This card can indicate a tendency to avoid confronting difficult emotions or facing necessary changes. It suggests a desire to run away from challenges or responsibilities instead of addressing them. It serves as a reminder to confront your emotions and make empowered choices for your well-being.
Feeling into the Energy of the 8 of Cups
When the 8 of Cups (Saturn in Pisces) shows up in a reading or as our card of the day, we are given a signal that it is time to move on.
Move on from what? It could be anything that is holding us back from maximising our potential and aligning with our Higher Selves, really.
It could be a job, a romantic relationship, disrespectful friends or family members, a toxic boss, self-hatred, codependency, clutter, negative thought patterns, bad habits, etc.
Usually, there is already a feeling of restlessness brewing. There is almost a sense of relief when we are faced with the reality of a need to let go of a situation that no longer serves us. But there is also anxiety because we are preparing to leave the known for the unknown. The ego likes to chant ‘Better the devil you know.’
Leave or Be Forced to Leave
So with the 8 of Cups, we are faced with a choice. Stay in a stagnant and toxic/negative situation or move on toward something unknown. If we do not heed the divine discontent that is urging us to leave, change may be forced upon us. This change will then show up in the form of XIII Death or XVI The Tower.
Just take that first step and embrace the adventure, knowing that you are fully supported and that you will never ever regret transforming a situation that is no longer tenable.
8 of Cups Tarot Trick
Try this neat Tarot trick: Shuffle the cards as usual. Then look through the deck for the 8 of Cups. The card to the left of the 8 of Cups represents what you need to leave behind. The card to the right is something new you can choose to embrace or something that will help you on the next leg of the journey.
“Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.”
~ Robert Tewe
Saturn in Pisces Transit 2023-2026
This Saturn in Pisces energy of the 8 of Cups is prominent during the Saturn in Pisces Transit from 7 March 2023 to 13 February 2026. This is a great time to clear any karmic debris and lessons once and for all. Check out this Past Life Healing Tarot Spread.
“I give you this to take with you:
Nothing remains as it was. If you know this, you can
begin again, with pure joy in the uprooting.”
― Judith Minty
Affirmation: “When the inspiration to move on arrives from on High, I fearlessly step into the unknown.”
8 of Cups Prayer
Dear Mother-Father God, thank you for the divine inner restlessness that prompts me to seek what you have in store for me. As I venture into the unknown, help me stay faithful to the calling, trusting in Holy Spirit guidance every step of the way. Amen and so it is!
Correspondences for the 8 of Cups
Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Archangel: Gabriel, ruler of the Element of Water
Gemstones: Amethyst, black tourmaline, clear quartz
Essential oil: Lime, jasmine
The 8 of Cups in Love and Relationships
This card is a sure sign that something needs to change drastically in the relationship. You have reached a plateau and one (or both) of you is not happy staying there. Disappointment is tangible. It is likely that people around you are picking up on the fact that you’re not happy in the relationship too.
The enchantment has gone and further growth seems impossible. At this point, you are faced with the choice of seeking professional help, as in relationship counselling or moving on. You must ask yourself why you are so unhappy and be honest about your part in creating this dynamic. Otherwise, you risk simply recreating the same dynamic with a new partner.
Single and looking
In a reading for a single person, the 8 of Cups could mean that they have been so disappointed by a relationship in the past that they are reluctant to try again. Or it could simply mean that they have more healing to do before they are ready to meet someone new. Either way, they have their mountain to climb before love can blossom in love once more.
8 of Cups as a personality
If the 8 of Cups shows up to signify your love interest, there is a chance that they could be a bit of a rolling stone. They could be easily dissatisfied and not the type to really want to settle down. The same goes if it shows up as your own significator.
Examine if you tend to move on too soon out of boredom/unwillingness to do the work or make the necessary sacrifices, or if you are genuinely prompted by your Higher Self. An inability to stay grounded and present in the here and now indicates that your need to always be on the move is ego-motivated.