When the Angel of Temperance shows up in a reading, it is generally a positive sign. This card typically brings us balance and a broader vision of where we need to be heading in life. However, as with all 78 Keys, Temperance too contains the full spectrum of meanings.
Positive Meanings of the Temperance Tarot Card
- Moderation: The Temperance card encourages you to find balance and moderation in all aspects of your life. It reminds you to avoid extremes and to find harmony between opposing forces.
- Patience: This card symbolises the virtue of patience. It advises you to have patience in situations that require time and careful consideration. Trust in the natural flow of events and allow things to unfold naturally.
- Healing and Recovery: The Temperance card represents healing on all levels – physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual. It suggests that you may be on a path of recovery and transformation, where you can find inner peace and balance.
- Adaptability: This card encourages you to be flexible and adaptable in different situations. It reminds you to go with the flow and adjust to changes with grace and ease. Adaptability will help you navigate challenges and find solutions.
- Spiritual Growth: The Temperance card is also associated with spiritual growth and development. It represents the integration of different aspects of yourself and the blending of opposing forces. Embrace your spiritual journey and seek higher wisdom and enlightenment.
Negative Meanings of the Temperance Tarot Card
- Imbalance: Negatively aspected, the Temperance card can indicate a lack of balance and harmony in your life. It suggests that you may be struggling to find moderation and may be prone to extremes or excesses.
- Impatience: Reversed or ill-dignified, this card warns against impatience and a lack of willingness to wait for things to unfold naturally. It advises you to slow down and practice patience in order to achieve the desired outcome.
- Discord and Conflict: Temperance may indicate disharmony and conflict in your relationships. It suggests that there may be a lack of cooperation and compromise, leading to tensions and disagreements.
- Lack of Adaptability: When reversed or ill-dignified, the Temperance card can indicate resistance to change and unwillingness to adjust to new circumstances. It may suggest rigidity and an inability to find common ground with others.
- Spiritual Drought: In its negative aspect, the Temperance card may suggest a disconnection from your spiritual path. It could indicate a lack of inner harmony and a need to reconnect with your higher self and spiritual practices.
Remember, the interpretation of tarot cards can vary depending on the context of the reading and the surrounding cards.
Feeling into the Energy of XIV Temperance
The Bible verse below pretty much summarises the full spectrum of meanings for Temperance (Sagittarius):
When the wicked rule, the people mourn—(…)A fool speaks all that is in his mind—Where there is no vision, the people perish.
Temperance is patience, wisdom, wise words, vision, moderation, soul alchemy and inspired leadership. And on the other end of the spectrum, it is the opposite of all of those things. That is why this can be a card of great harmony as well as a card of great discord.
Temperance is also known as Art in some decks. Art is the perfect metaphor for Temperance as it combines the concept of the artistic vision of the Fire Element with the artistic/lyrical expression of the Water Element. Together, in perfect balance, these two blend to create a rainbow of healing colours that can be seen, sensed or heard – depending on the choice of artistic expression.
The corresponding visionary Sagittarian energies lend this card an expansive feeling, in spite of the concentration on the angel’s face. Temperance is often seen as the healing card in the deck. Temperance/Art is an energy which elevates the spirit of a person and like all the heart chakra cards, it enables healing on every level of our being by restoring order and harmony.
Psychically, the Temperance card corresponds to claircognisance (clear knowing) and clairvoyance, and hence also to the third eye and crown chakras.
Our Guardian Angel
The Angel in temperance can also be seen as our Guardian Angel. If this card shows up in a reading, pay special attention to where in the spread the Angel of Temperance shows up and prayerfully ask if your Guardian Angel has a message for you. Perhaps you feel drawn to pull an additional card from an Angel Oracle for further insights but try just listening to that still small voice within first. Your Guardian Angel is always willing to help.
A Master Teacher
Like The Hierophant, the other 5-vibration Major Arcana card, this card is connected to the teaching space. However, rather than a transmission of tradition as in the case of the Hierophant, the Angel of Temperance instructs us on how to expand our vision of creativity, free from the limitations of history and tradition. New frontiers can be conquered… But to do so, we need to learn where our frontiers lie (again, clear vision) and not fall into the trap of excess.
Where other people are concerned, Temperance can indicate a person who has a healing influence, as well as someone supportive of or even facilitates an expansion of, our vision. However, when ill-dignified or reversed, animosity could be indicated. Either way, Temperance indicates a soul that we do well to team up with for an important lesson. Something in them is mirroring something we need to integrate for the fullness of expression and visionary ability. And they always act as a catalyst for transformation or soul alchemy, even when they come in the guise of an ‘enemy.’
Angelic correspondence: The Angel of Temperance
Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Chakra: Heart Chakra, Third Eye, Crown Chakra
Colour: Red, crimson, purple, gold, indigo, violet
Crystal: Golden topaz, sapphire, amethyst and diamond
Body: Pituitary gland, liver, hips, pelvis, sciatic nerve, gall bladder, hamstrings
Exercise: Archery, the splits
Stance: Anjaneyasana (low lunge)
Magickal Tool/Ingredient: Your Book of Shadows. The more artistic, the better — Express yourself!
Associated Major Arcana Cards (through numerology): The Hierophant
Associated Minor Arcana Cards:
8 of Wands (Mercury in Sagittarius). Healing comes through a prompt and frank expression of your truth.
9 of Wands (Moon in Sagittarius). Healing comes from keeping personal boundaries strong, alert to what is happening at the ‘borders’/’frontiers’
10 of Wands (Saturn in Sagittarius). Healing is happening because the old is being burnt away. It’s not a choice we make and rarely feels comfortable. Attitude is more important than ever and the attitude that is needed is one of pure determination: “Life is tough but I am tougher.”
King of Wands – The Sagittarian King (Fire of Fire) is the Infant Jesus and the Risen King all rolled into one, i.e. pure Spirit in human form. If anyone can inspire miracles it is he because his vision takes him far beyond the reaches of known frontiers, traditions and what is expected of him. Mind you, I’m not saying he is Jesus – I’m saying he has the potential to inspire on that level. So catch yourself on fire with the excitement brought by the power of your vision. Allow that vision to carry you so far outside your comfort zone that you won’t even know where you landed until weeks after touching down. If this King had a motto, it would be:
“Risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”
~ Leo Buscaglia (Sagittarius Rising)
Remedies to increase the energy of Temperance in your life
- You can make a tarot essence to harness and increase the energy of the Temperance card, using a card from the deck of your choice, along with any of the crystals above that you feel drawn to work with
- Lie down and place this card on your heart chakra. Visualise gold light entering through your right foot and silver light through the left. These two lights spiral up your spine and mingle perfectly in your heart, where they form a perfect shimmering sphere of gold and silver light. Now think of an area in your life that needs healing or energising and send the ball there to create the needed miracle
- Inspire someone else to achieve their dreams
- Study philosophy
- Study alchemy
- Travel somewhere new
- Burn some cinnamon incense
- Light a candle to Archangel Sachiel and ask him to bless you with wisdom
- Stop any intake of toxic/addictive substances that may affect the hepatic system (liver) – especially alcohol
- Always say what’s on your mind and speak your truth
- Coach or mentor someone
Balancing, grounding and banishing the influence of the Temperance card:
- Entertain an idea you resonate with and then move to the opposite idea as if it were a deeply held belief of your own
- Make peace with someone you don’t see eye to eye with. Give thanks for what they are teaching you/reflecting back at you
- Learn/practice something purely because it is traditional
- Empathise deeply with another person
- Get drunk (I don’t actually recommend this but it is a quick way of banishing the influence of Temperance, as most of you will have experienced once or twice)
- Babysit (not drunk!)
- Do something only for the money and not because it’s ‘right’ (Also not something I recommend yet most of us do it, some daily)
- Become a disciple
Affirmation: “I’m on fire with the excitement of the vision within me and wherever it takes me, I go with complete faith.”
Angelic Invocation to the Angel of Temperance
Blessed Angel of Temperance, thank you for teaching me moderation in all things. Help me stay on the Middle Path and alchemise all of life’s difficulties and excesses with love. So be it and so it is!
Angelic Invocation to Your Holy Guardian Angel
O, Holy Guardian Angel! Thank you for always watching over me. Please guide me with regard to (__________) and help me see the best way forward for the Highest Good clearly. Amen and so it is!
Love and Relationships
Temperance corresponds to Sagittarius (higher learning, spirituality, travel to far-flung places, religion etc) in Astrology and in the human energy system, it is one of the Heart chakra healing cards together with Justice and The Lovers.
The meaning of the Temperance card is that of soul alchemy and balancing our inner and outer worlds, using the power of vision to do so. Thus, in a love relationship, the influence of this card often has a ‘spiritualising’ effect. It nudges us to be true to ourselves and align our choices as well as our responses to our partners with a Higher Will.
This also sometimes means that we need to learn to say ‘no.’ The ruler of Sagittarius, Jupiter, might have a tendency to overindulge – moderation and discipline might be called for. Mostly though this card indicates potential growth and positive learning experiences.
Temperance as your love interest
If this card represents a partner or possible suitor in a reading, be prepared to have your horizons broadened by this person. It usually signifies someone who is optimistic and who has great visionary ability. It could be a teacher, professor, psychologist, life coach or spiritual/thought leader.
Ill-dignified or reversed, it might represent a person who is low on tolerance or someone who is insincere. It could also be someone who suffers from ‘foot-in-mouth’ disease. They may think they are frank but really they only come across as blunt or even mean and cold-hearted. They may have a tendency to see things as all-black-or-white.
Together with the 6 of Cups, Temperance signifies a soul mate relationship that could be the main reason for you choosing to incarnate together again at this time. You are mirroring each other on almost every level and will not be able to escape taking responsibility for your own healing journey. This is a demanding process. However, take comfort in the fact that the reason you are not getting cut much slack is that you have reached a higher level of learning in this lifetime.
Sexually, Temperance means a return to innocence. Not necessarily by complete abstinence but by sanctifying the physical union and taking a tantric approach, which also has the benefit of opening up the vision to behold the sexual life force energy in everything.
Try focusing on the communion aspect and the point where your two energies blend into one. You can still climax, of course, but it will be a side effect of the focus on union/communion. Allow it to just happen rather than race for the finish line. And if it doesn’t happen that is totally fine too. Maintain eye contact and learn to feel the flow of love in the heart chakra.